Some (most?) of the changes to RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I had a chat with Horizon support and this is a list of changes from version 8 to version 9. I had expressed concern that by upgrading to a new release I might be upgrading to a buggy program. I mentioned that I generally prefer to wait a few months before upgrading so as to avoid some/most (hopefully) of the bugs. Below is what I was told.

1 - v9 is not a new program, but an upgraded version of the one I currently own.

2 - RollBack Rx V9 has made some significant changes from the previous version 8.1. Version 8.1 had an integrated Drive imaging application for clients that wanted to be able to have true hardware disaster recovery. It was known as the "Drive Image" feature in Version 8.1. In RollBack Rx Version 9.x they separated the Drive Cloning capabilities and introduced it as a new product "Drive Cloner Rx". It supposedly will complete head on with products such as Ghost, Acronis and other hard disk imaging and cloning products that are available. Horizon will continue to grow this product by adding features while maintaining a low cost point for its clients that need a cost effective hard drive imaging application.

3 - Rollback Rx v9 is easier for large educational and corporate clients to use the Remote Management Console. Horizon has removed the separate pricing of the "Enterprise" version of the software and now provide the RMC as a free add-on. All RollBack Rx users that have more than 3 networked PC's can now use the RMC to remotely manage their PC's.

4 - The nagging pop ups that appeared every time the application was launched whereby shield.exe and netreg.exe would display certificate warnings etc have been removed

5 - Some significant changes have been made to make RollBack Rx quicker to boot up and work with Windows Vista, both 32 and 64 bit.

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I was able to upgrade v8.1 EAZ-FIX to v9.0 for free and the imaging disk is included in the program like in v8.1. Just thought folks would like to know :) .

SourMilk out

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Moving forward-to the past (LOL)! ...version 9 appears to be nothing more than the 'trim' v7.2.1 (which I use)!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  4. Aaron Here

Well now (for the first time), there is a functional difference between EF and RB!

5. bgoodman4

How is EF tech support? I am fed up with Horizon, I paid for a support package that supposedly guarantees me replies within 24 hours. I get an e-mail from them saying my ticket has been received and while they guarantee responses within 24 hours if I have not heard back after 48 hours I should call a number and I will be able to speak to a tech. I called the number a few hours ago and got a message that I should leave a detailed message and they will return my call in the order that it was received.

I am mad as H and think I will ask for all my money back and look for another solution.

6. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

You could try eaz-fix maybe their support is better ?

7. Aaron Here

In the past, EF and RB support has been one and the same (small group of) people. I presume that has not changed. :doubt:

8. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I have no problem with EAZ-FIX support. I usually get a reply within 24 hours of business days via email. Their support office is in Texas so CST applies. Received a new serial for v9.0 in two days because my request was made in the middle of the night for those folks. So far, so good.

SourMilk out

9. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I am in a quandry about which to get. EAZ-FIX V9 or Rollback Rx V9.

I currently have Rollback Rx V8.1 and can upgrade for 50% off to V9, but from what I have read, they "seem" to be starting to take different patsh even though they are supposed to be the same software.

Specifically, I'm talking about the Drive Cloner Rx being broken out of the Rollback pakcgae but seems to remain as part of the basic package with EAZ-FIX.

I don't really have any major complaint about the Horizon support, but wonder where my money woul dbe better spent ? EAZ-FIX or RollBack ?

Tim

10. bgoodman4

From what I understand from other posts the 2 programs tend to leapfrog each other. This would imply that sooner or later (probably sooner) the imaging function in EZ will be removed as well. Also, if you are an existing customer, when you upgrade you will get Drive Cloner for free, at least for this release. No doubt in the future this will change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.