Some Malware Disables AV...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by phasechange, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

I once had a virus infection that turned off Norton a long long time ago. Are there any such threats for NOD32 that are known? Can this be protected against?

Fairy

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

By design no, but the possibility remains.

Cheers :D

3. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

If I'm not wrong, some Bagle variants try to kill NOD32 processes. However, NOD32 is able to detect many new Bagle using heuristics and thus prevent it from infecting the system and killing NOD32. Also, if some disable NOD32 Service, the service will start itself automatically.
    Anyway you can use ProcessGuard to enhance protection :)

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

basically this can't happen because nod32 process is integrated into kernel and it can't be stopped. :)

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Yes it can!

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You mean , Yes , it can be stopped or Yes , it is true
    [MOVE]o_O [/MOVE]

7. steve1955

I mean yes it can be stopped/disabled

8. fosius

fosius Registered Member

But when it is closed, it is automatically restarted by operating system.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Agree and moreover NOD32 should detect any threat attemping such evil thing before it messes the things :thumb:

10. steve1955

There is a "test" app available wich attempts to close AV progs using various methods,Nod32 can be stopped and doesn't auto restart(unless your talking on reboot)If any malware manages to remove/alter reg entries that cause Nod to start(or any other av for that matter)your av will be disabled

11. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

There is a growing concern about 'who protects security software' when it is installed. So it seems most of AV's will sooner or later learn to defend themselves from being disabled or corrupted. I will be careful about claiming 100% immunity by any AV vendor.

12. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

You are talking about the Control Center and not the Kernal Service aren't you?
    NOD32 would normally detect anything trying to play funny with it's Kernal Service I believe....

13. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I tried Advanced Process Termination. Yes, it could close NOD32 service, but it was automatically restarted.

14. NOD32 user

Thanks fosius - good to know :)

15. steve1955

Thats very good news:-eset must have improved robustness since it was tested a year(might be longer I lose track of time:-its my age lol) or so ago,then when it was terminated it stayed terminated

16. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, if that test is so old, I'm sure NOD32 can't be stoppped now. It's hard to do that. :)

17. gnervt

gnervt Registered Member

That's not so hard as you think. If you are working with admin rights then a program could change the nod32krn service startup-type and could terminate the service. For example (winxp, admin rights, @command prompt) :

Code:
     sc config nod32krn start= disabled       // default: set it to 'auto' & reboot
    Then you can kill the nod32krn process with the taskmanger or simply reboot. The nod32krn service will not running anymore. Only the gui would running (nearly useless)... :cautious:

18. steve1955

~snip~ removed quote ~ Blackspear
    You can probably disable most if not all AV's using tis technique so he probably isnt giving away a big secret

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006
  19. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

It is too easy to disable NOD32. Besides using the "sc" command you can do the same thing programmatically using ChangeServiceConfig2.

Additionally NOD32 can be disabled by:
    - terminating all its processes
    - deleting any and all its directories/files
    - deleting its registry keys
    -adding loopback entries for

127.0.0.1 u2.eset.com
    127.0.0.1 u3.eset.com
    127.0.0.1 u4.eset.com
    127.0.0.1 u7.eset.com
    127.0.0.1 u8.eset.com

in the hosts file.

Most AV products today, Kaspersky, Norton protect against all of these. You may have the "best" AV product, but its useless if it can be disabled. So choose your AV product wisely.

20. NOD32 user

Using the loopback entries you have mentioned does not prevent updates....

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It has only two processes : nodkrn.exe and nodkui.exe

nodkui.exe is not important at all about the protection . It is only the User Interface (NOD32 Control Center) . nodkrn.exe ,as already mentioned , can hard be stopped because it is in the kernel level

Ooops , sorry , you are wrong here . By default , the folder and the files of NOD32 are locked . See :
    http://pandaman.my.contact.bg/123.PNG

This won't prevent NOD32 from updating

The onliest I cannot confirm because I haven't tried is about the reg key but I am sure ESET have somehow protected them .

Please , NOTE ,the current thread is about malware disablling antivirus softwares , not about complicated user actions . Nobody will do what you explain moreover most people even don't know how to do it.

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A couple posts have been removed from this thread because they were both defamatory and inaccurate.

Someone replied to a post by 'gnervt' with this: "Maybe it's just a feeling, but it seems, you've worked for ESET in the past. :D And now, by using a new nick, you talking about this kind of things which were not very fair to ESET. ;)" Some people took to mean that gnervt was actually Michael, (aka. Inspector Clouseau, formerly Happy Bytes when he was an Eset Moderator). That is wrong! gnervt is not Michael.

Further, that post is defamatory to gnervt, i.e. implying that he is a former Eset employee, and that he somehow broke trust by revealing something proprietary to that company. (Of course, there is nothing proprietary in what gnervt posted. The "sc" statement shown there is a documented command available in Windows for the management of services. That is in no way any form of secret information.)

In any case, even if the poster of this remark was just joking, defamatory comments like that are totally inappropriate and have no place on this forum. People need to stop and think before posting anything like that, not only because it is libelous, but because it could adversely effect another person's reputation and livelihood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.