some help with security

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Michael E. Cluney, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael E. Cluney

Michael E. Cluney Registered Member

Hello:

I ran a port check from Gibson Research Corp to find my port 113 is closed, but not stealthed. All my ports are stealthed but that one. How do I resolve this to show 113 is stealthed?

Also, I am really concerned I have had some activitiy going on in my computer I can't explain. Is there a way to audit my harddrive completely to insure I am bug-free?

I am running XP-Home. I also have TDS-3 Trojan Scan. I am running System Suite which has virus scan and firewall by Sygate. I am on a Microsoft Basestation Router using an adaptor -- two computers on this setup.

I have the router's firewall operational in addition to my firewall in SystemSuite.

I also have hung my X-mother-in-law's picture out back for the wolves but I dont know if that will help the computer questions.

Thank you in advance for helping me. I want a vault for security and would entertain any suggestions for modifications or changes.

Regards to all,

Michael

2. Michael E. Cluney

I failed to add, I am running Port Explorer as well...thanks.

Michael

3. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Since no one has answered you yet, I will. With a router between you and the internet, online port scans are scanning the router and not your computer. Check the routers documentation for instructions on how to turn it off.

4. Michael E. Cluney

thank you, disciple

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Michael,
    There is usually a way of "Port forwarding" within your router which involves forwarding all traffic to port 80 on a dummy PC in the DMZ, commonly called a "Black hole"
    You will need to read your router manual & study the port forwarding section or visit the users forum for information regarding port 113 closure.

You have good tools available in System Suite & the best Anti-Trojan available, with PE watching your connections you are in good shape :) Regarding Auditing, I do not know of any freeware products for doing such but there are many professional programmes for Auditing computers but these tend to be corporate programmes aimed at licensing and company usage compliance.

:D I still have my Mother-OUT-Law - Maybe Mother outlaw avatar might do the trick? :)

IMHO - The best new addition you can make is DCS's Process Guard - New, very much more powerful version will be released today -Simple to use and very low resources required.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did you also in TDS > Configuratiion > Misc unchech upper left the "enable mIRC DDE? which would enable the port 113 identity check?

7. Trojan scientist

Trojan scientist Registered Member

lol, ports stealthed or closed are still closed arent they?

the only way in to your computer is the same way, no matter which one it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.