Some help with restoring a system

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by VikingStorm, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Well seeing as how a sibling managed to install something that was somehow amazingly troublesome (crash on start-up, crash in safe-mode), it looked like "Last Known Good Configuration" was the fix. And in a sense it worked (no more crashing), however, despite most things working like it's suppose to (the user registry settings seem to be the same, even the right-click context menu was recent), the "Last Known Configuration" seems to have restored back some very old services. System Restore fails restoring to any of the later restore points.

However, the problem remains:
    Outpost detects wg3n (w3gn not sure) of Sygate, and gives me a warning message on start-up.
    In services:
    McAfee Personal Firewall, and McAfee Security Center are listed, but aren't installed (the files don't exist).

Symantec Event Manager, and Symantec Password Validation are also listed (though disabled).

KAV Monitor is there, also not installed.

How do I get rid of this to clean this up? (manually, or know something about why my system restore is failing)
    Do I merely just delete the entries in CurrenControlSet/Services?

[Interesting, I also have to install 13 critical updates, should these be legit? (like it was actually rolled back to before the updates were installed?) (same for the drivers for everything else)]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

go to Start -> Run and type SERVICES.MSC and hit [enter]. disable the services you wanna disable and restart the PC.

3. VikingStorm

The files that run the services no longer exist (they weren't running to begin with, even Sygate, though Outpost says it is out there running), so is there no way to remove them from services.msc?

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

deleting the entries from registry doesn't seem like a good idea as you didn't perform legal uninstalling. try some registry cleaner like RegSupreme from www.macecraft.com

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

vikingstorm

You can go to control panel, administrative tools, services to disable any service you want.

Sounds like you need a good registry cleaner on hand too. Look around the site for suggestions.

I wouldn't delete anything from the registry without a backup.

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

You can also try an app called RegSupreme.

http://www.macecraft.com/

30 day trial. Or if you prefer doing things yourself, download PowerTools instead.

7. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

If I were you:

>> Unplug modem/router from internet.
    >> Unisnstall all I will not need.
    >> Back up ALL I can/need. (include patches from MS [Blaster & Sasser])
    >> Restart, format, and reinstall OS. (keep modem/router unpluged until you apply patches or keep XP firewall active)
    >> Do an image disk of active partition if exist (include drivers, etc).
    >> Install all I want/need.

This can take you less time than other tweaks.
    IT´s MY OPINION.

Any Other Way, try to remove all Symantec drivers from (WinKey+PauseKey) Hardware > System Properties > Hardware > Device Admin. > See/view > Show hidden drivers.

Try to remove with others soft drivers and Registry entries. This way is too hard, and your system only will works temporaly, that´s for sure.

Good Luck!

backfolder.-

8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

creating an image will carry the bugs and voids of the system. fresh install always should be the last option as it takes up a lot of time in downloading, installing and tweaking. but certainly this will get you going for sure.

9. VikingStorm

Got it all cleaned up (manually). Thanks guys.

10. rocos

rocos Registered Member

It is too difficult to manual restore!

11. VikingStorm

I've never had to reformat this PC in 3 years (no reason to when it's faster then when it just came out of the box), but I do have to say I've learned a lot a ton by manually troubleshooting (sure sure, I did spend some extra time) instead of reformatting.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Taking a regular backup image of your system onto a separate hard disk will make future recovery far easier - as well as allowing you to cope with events like a hard disk failure which System Restore cannot handle. Win2K/XP users should check out Drive Snapshot or Acronis TrueImage (both allow you to create an image of boot partitions in the background). Win9x/ME users can use the free version of XXCopy (check the Cloning the Win9x system disk using XXCOPY FAQ for more details) instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.