Some Geswall errors for me.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ohmy, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

What was wrong with it?

2. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

There may be no problem, maybe I'm just not use to it.
    I just can't do thing normally after getting DW installed.
    Think DW is blocking things o_O

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Did you change anything with "untrusted applications" list?

4. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

No not really,
    I didn't change a single thing, just used default setting.
    However, it's funny because it's really hard to install anything. o_O
    Is there a setting that makes it less intrusive?

5. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Could you please elaborate on this ? I find Gw easy to use and it does what it is supposed to do.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I dont get it. With Geswall, once you install, any application that opens like IE, Email, etc, a pop up box appears asking if you want to isolate the application. You choose yes and tic the box so it doesnt ask everytime. You will know its active by the green pulsating bar at the top.

Geswall comes with some pretty good defined rules and they add to them often. I use Geswall setup exactly like this and I dont know or understand how to go in and tweak settings, other then what I have explained and it hasnt failed me yet. To me, it is very simple to setup and use.

7. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

If you need to add rules you can use the application wizard. Have a look at the user guide.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you, I will try that. For me, it works very well.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

It is already non-intrusive. Something is wrong here. Did you runned the software you download "as trusted"? If you trust software you install and you have downloaded it with your browser untrusted you must use "remove from untrusted" or "run as trusted" functions in order to install it. See DW's help file, "FAQ"-"Installing Software" section, it's all there.

10. Hoodied

Hoodied Registered Member

Hey Easter!

When you say was, do you mean GesWall wasn't nothing to write home about or that GesWall still isn't nothing to write home about?

If the latter is what you meant than I strongly disagree with you on so many levels. Even though both sanboxie and Geswall are isolation (or semi) sandboxed programs, I don't think you can compare the two in the first place.

GesWall is all about prevention and does an amazing job at it (as well as Defensewall). Sandboxie is simply isolation and doesn't prevent serious infections. It does however do an excellent cleaning process once the sandbox is terminated or closed. However, within that time period in the sandbox if someone was to download mistakenly a key logger. Sandboxie will not prevent or stop the recording of the key strokes and although the key logger is cleared once the box is deleted, the damage has already taken place and done its primary task, which is record keystrokes.

I'm not knocking sandboxie at all, or trying to promote one product over another. You just can't compare the two in my opinion. I'm just simply stating that all programs have their flaws and sandboxie is not perfect by any means.

11. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Sandboxie can be setup to be perfect for your needs.;)

12. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Hi,
    Am I still safe even if I remove IE from untrusted applications?
    I need to do this in order do my things in my environment...
    Thanks

13. Hoodied

Hoodied Registered Member

Hey Franklin!

I'm very aware that sandboxie can be configured to my needs. I really like the fact that with sandboxie you can only configure Web-browser(s) for internet access only. Which would then eliminate any key loggers from doing any serious damage because they will not be able to connect out. I'm very aware of sandboxie and its capabilities. Sandboxie is an amazing program, I was just simply making a point to Easter.

14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

No, the point is to keep Explorer as untrusted, but once you download something that you know its safe, and you want to install, you change the status to "trusted" so it can install with no problems.

15. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Sandboxie has proven its worth and has stand victorious against some of the nastiest infections, preventing them to do any harm to the real system.

And with some settings, those keyloggers you talk about can't even run.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

folks, why dont we just agree to disagree on this one, before we get this thing closed.

Bottom line is, Geswall, Defensewall and Sandboxie are all 3 great programs. But every user has different needs and really must try them out to see which fits the build for them. Now, if you trial them and become frustrated about not knowing just how you should set it up, then this is the place to come.

But other then that, just like with AVs this is a argument that can never be settled.
    thanks

17. Ilya Rabinovich

No.

What kind of things? If you need set up anything with it- run as trusted, do the set up and close it down.

18. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I will agree on one thing is that we are all on the same side.
    Most Wilders members can laugh at any and or all attacks without employing blacklist scanners.:)

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Could you please elaborate on this ? I find Gw easy to use and it does what it is supposed to do.

Hey Easter, I think Banshee was waiting on a response to this, as I.:cautious:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This type of unsupported statement is the kind of thing that Wilders members are supposed to be striving against, or at least so I thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.