Solway's Task Scheduler

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by EASTER, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is a Windows scheduler thats been around since Windows 98 and is been updated now with some improvements. I tossed away M$'s task scheduler long ago for this because you can run, get this, SWF flash files, FLV movie files, regular executables or screensavers at preferred times a user chooses, as well as a host of other extensions like music files, etc.

Although they suggest using another app recommended to time-close any scheduled apps you want to run, including Batch Files etc. named endprocess, i couldn't get it to work for me. BUT i reached back and use pv.exe that comes with the freeware utility PrcView, and with it you can set the parameters to also close any apps that Solway's Task Scheduler started for you at the time you make it for, and it works like a charm.

I always been a fan of hands-off automation like this, and now Solway appears to still be in business with this age-old task scheduler and i wanted to pass along and share it with anyone who might find it useful for them.

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/#tasksched

EASTER

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'll just *BUMP this ONLY once and let it go at that, but was curious if anyone found this freeware better then XP's built in scheduler or if you use a different scheduler.

Thanks EASTER

3. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I've never used the scheduler you mention, but in the past i've used visualcron, autotask2000, and currently, robotask. Seems that most functions I want to automate these days, the application has a built in scheduler, but for those odd tasks that don't, robotask always serves well. I think a properly maintained system has at it's core a set of well timed automated tasks which handle system maintenance.

Thanks,

Chrome

4. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Thanks EASTER. We have same kind of taste with programs. Simple and light :D Now I have to find some parameters so I can use STS with full efficiency.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Solway offers an app named endprocess, well it didn't quite end anything for me so i just downloaded (again) the old app
    EDIT: Author's Link Is Out-Of-Order!
    and simply use the path to pv.exe to kill the scheduled program at the time you decide.

The PARAMETER is pv –kf process.exe and right on schedule it will turn off the app or flash file, or whatever app you set to run scheduled.

I found a small quip though, make sure you at least separate the time to end that process by a minute, because i tried to abort a process within seconds and it didn't take.

Otherwise, this is one cool scheduler that is lite and works right on time.

EASTER

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  6. MikeNAS

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah, i 'm getting an IE lock up of the browser from that website i never experienced before.

Just do a Google Search for PrcView and find a working link. It comes with pv.exe and that app successfully ends processes you schedule.

I'm going to investigate this problem because i never run into it before.

I'll pull that link because in IE it locks up my browser.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

http://www.teamcti.com/pview/PrcView_5_2_15.zip

I finally got this from Gladiator Security Forums.

For Pete's sakes, the Google returns are bugged awfully bad, plus i see now that Synantec is showed up at one point as owner of it, no wonder all the problems.

All you need is pv.exe from the package to help end scheduled processes.

They just can never leave well enough alone.

I bet i hit half a dozen PrcView download sites that were ALL bugged, including Major Geeks.

EASTER

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just checking back to see if you finally got pv.exe in order to end your Solway's Scheduled run of programs.

It's nothing earth-shattering but is a fairly convienent scheduler that works as claimed and a simple app to work with.

10. MikeNAS

Working fine. Thanks a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.