Solved issue of CD/DVD drives not displayed in TI Ver 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rc5115, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc5115

rc5115 Registered Member

Thanks to all who replied to my question. Have solved this dilema, and hope that the following information will be of help:

The issue of not seeing my DVD/RW or CDRW in my PC was due to the fact that I was not creating the proper rescue CD.

What I was doing when trying to create a rescue CD, was making a separate CD for the Safe version and then another seperate CD for the Full version. Using these CD's to boot up my PC, neither of these rescue CD's would show the DVD/RW or CDRW in any of my PC's (tried several to see if the problem was isolated to a specific PC).

I had read in the Acronis "Read This First" thread, something to the effect of making recovery with the Safe and Full versions on the same CD (this is different than Norton Ghost) that caught my eye.

So, created a rescue disk with both the Safe and Full versions on the same CD (this is the default setting), and presto!!! now I boot my PC to the CD and now the DVD/RW or CDRW in my PC are recognized and are able to be written to.

Hope this helps....

regards...

Roman

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you sure that the Full version alone on a CD couldn't see your optical drives? This is the first time that I've heard of any difference between Full by itself or on a CD with Safe.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I've come to realize that with True Image anything's possible. I've always wondered why Acronis gives the user the option to choose which (Full or Safe) to include on the bootable CD. It's not like you're likely to run out of space on the CD - even on the mini CDs.

4. rc5115

rc5115 Registered Member

John,

Not to be 100% certain of anything after spending so much time and many options trying to get TI 10 to work, I am going to verify all the boot CD's I have created and post the reults here later.

For software that is deemed so easy to use right out of the box, it sure isn't. Should not have needed to spend so much time, in reality, doing the R&D for Acronis.

regards...

Roman

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  5. rc5115

rc5115 Registered Member

Hi Dwn,

I agree with you, why is this an option when it only uses about 5% of a 700mb CD. Maybe Acronis or someone here can give an answer to that question. As I look at the posts the past few mornings, I see that Acronis tech support seems to answer a few select questions, and not answer a lot of other questions posted. Guess one reason is maybe they do not want to answer only origional questions, and not get involved with questions such as ours where there has been multiple replies, i.e they let us work our th eproblems for them. So maybe the best wau to get some reply from their tech support people is to post a smiple question such as : Why does Acronis allow safe and full version options for recovery CD's?

I think I will try that and see what happens.

With Norton Ghost 8, their equivalent of safe mode was on one floppy disk and their equivalent of full mode was on two floppy disks.

Am going to retest all my boot CD's I had created with my origional TI 10 program and also the latest build, and report back later.

regards...

Roman

6. jmk94903

Wecome to the group.:) We all feel that we are doing R&D sometimes.

Let me know what you find. It's an important point.

7. rc5115

rc5115 Registered Member

Hi John,

Did a check on my two sets of rescue CD's I made with TI 10 build 4871 and my recently downloaded TI 10 build 4942.

With both builds, I made a seperate Safe and Full rescue CD's. Of course the Safe rescue CD from either build would not recognize any of the CDRW or DVD/RW's in any of the 3 PC's and one laptop I tried them in.

Oddly enough the Full rescue CD from build 4871 still would not recognize the CDRW or DVDRW's, but the Full rescue CD from build 4942 DID work in all of the CDRW or DVD/RW's in the 3 PC's and one laptop I tried them in.

And when I made the Safe and Full rescue CD, it worked on all the PC's I tested them in.

Yea............we the users, sure do a lot of R&D for Acronis. Now you know why these companies support these forums. What a great deal for them, they put out a buggy product, and since we buy their software, we are actually paying them for the problems their software creates.

regards...

Roman

8. jmk94903

Well, at least 4942 which is a newer and better build creates Full CDs the way it should.

We have all noticed over the years that Acronis is weak on quality control and beta testing. That's time intensive and therefore expensive, so I can understand why they don't do as much as we would like. The result is that all of us help find the problems and report them for Acronis to fix.

9. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

And many of the "good guys" who have contributed in the past simply disappear after a while - it does get "old" having to find all these bugs, especially when new ones are created and only a few get fixed.

I certainly commend those who have stayed for continuing to contribute.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rc5115,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you can create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media not only on CDs, but on any media your PC can boot from. So, for smaller media you might want to only put one of the versions. Please also see my answer in the other thread you created for more details on Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.