Solution to TrueCrypt Threat!!!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by truthseeker, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

You guys are making no sense again. If you want to make sure your RAM is safe, just Properly Dismount your containers.... This risk comes when the system is UNEXPECTEDLY powered off (IE: pull the plug out of the wall). Not when you shut down, not when you dismount containers. Doing either of these eliminates the risk.

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

The quickest way to fully dismount all mounted volumes would be to place a shortcut in your Quick Launch bar using this as the target string:

"C:\Program Files\TrueCrypt\truecrypt.exe" /dismount /force /wipecache /quit /silent

Truecrypt will instantly dismount all open volumes, securely wipe the keys from RAM and securely wipe the passsword cache from RAM (if used). However, be careful not to run this by mistake, as it will force a dismount even if files are open and in use.

3. KookyMan

Actually the fastest way would be to configure a hotkey in TrueCrypt, then just hit the hotkey and its done. No need to find your desktop for a shortcut.

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Yes, I stand corrected. That would be the best way to do it, providing that you always kept the TrueCrypt program running. However, all of my mounts/dismounts are run via shortcuts and batchfiles utilizing TrueCrypt command-line and I almost never run the TrueCrypt interface, so a TrueCrypt hot key wouldn't work for me.

My shortcut is always visible in the Quick Launch area of my task bar, so I don't have to hunt for it, and it will work whether the TrueCrypt program is running or not. I suppose I could also assign it a Windows hot key, but I don't feel the need for that.

5. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Yeah, and it's at those times I said if a person is very paranoid, to stand and stare at their PC for 3-4minutes. Then they can walk away.

6. truthseeker

I created a shortcut, Alt+X and it does Force Dismount, Wipe Cache and Exit.

How do I tell the shortcut to wipe RAM? Or is that what Wipe Cache means?

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

hahaha:D :D :D A lot to do for you bond.

8. KookyMan

Thats it.

9. truthseeker

Cool, cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.