Solution to slow Kaspersky Updates!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

One of the most annoying things about Kaspersky products , be it the Internet Security, Pure, or the AV, is that the updates are horribly slow.

I found a solution to this that enables blistering speeds for updates.

Just change the update servers to one of the following from their update servers and experiment which ones works best for your region. Don't forget, after adding the update server, move it up to the top by clicking on the Move Up Button

List of Kaspersky Update Servers: http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2011/settings/update?qid=193238779

I found http://dnl-11.geo.kaspersky.com/ to be the fastest server for me.

Attached Files:

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Kaspersky resolves your IP address and figures out which server is geographically closest to you and assigns that server. I don't think most people are effected by slow speeds, I never was.

3. berryracer

not true

With the default Kaspersky Update Server. I get 28 to 40 KB/S download. With the one above, I get 180 KB/S download speed.

go figure

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Maybe and for some good reason KIS/KAV cannot determine where you are located but as far as I am concerned CubonesCastle is correct. And to have never had the problem.

Indeed, when beta testing KIS over the last five versions I have often been required to manually switch download servers...and almost every time the fastest server proves, for me, to be the application determined one.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

6. bawldiggle

bawldiggle Registered Member

Thank you "BBerryracer" for your tip,
    I am on ADSL2 in Australia and my KIS updates grind along at 5KB/s. (while any other download steams along at 180kb (on ave) -- just switched from ADSL1, so anything is an improvement)

Your succesful link http://dnl-11.geo.kaspersky.com/ has already lifted my update speed to 60KB/s.

As a newbie I had trouble understanding how to add a HTTP url to the save-dialog in KIS > Settings > Update > Update Source > Add > Select Update Source > Source:= ??
    So I just pasted the URL into the "Source" field -- escalated the new item up the list and I presume it is working. (Would appreciate any feedback from any Aussies on how to improve update speed)

I will certainly follow up on the list of servers.

I have just changed to KIS (from Trend) . I do prefer the KIS front-end.
    Kaps forum help can be a little "acid" at times -- but I have found their free phone support (down-under) to be very good.

Thanks again

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Ive never had any issues with the kaspersky updates.only a minute or so to download and they are done in the background so why speed is an issue is strange.
    It seems that the OP always has issues with whatever security he uses.:ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ninja:

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

at times you will notice upon a full program update it will resolve you back to the closest regional server just so you know this may not be permanent and for me i dont see any difference between them speed wise.

9. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

i think it depends on other factors too.e.g.when updating kaspersky first crosscheck existing database/program files against their own database to determine what to update & this part of update process is mostly upload dependent not download since info is being uploaded from your pc & since upload speed is always much less compared to download on an adsl connection this part of update process is slow.once kaspersy update server has determined what needs to be downloaded only then actual download of updates begin.again since by default update downloads are incremental so update download speed also depends on the location/settings.e.g.i use kaspersky updater utility to download updates instead of using program's inbuilt update function & to me it is faster as i have set the update folder on a different drive other than C & use updater utilities options like download only 32bit windows database updates(my pc has 32bit win 7 so why download 64bit updates too) etc which also helps in faster download of updates.

10. bawldiggle

whitestar 999
    Thank you for your ray of hope :)
    My PC-laptop (an Acer Aspire 5315) 5 years old, is a dog of a machine, hence I only use it for browsing and downloading work related "stuff".

When KIS updates begin it grinds along at 5KB/s which I assume is the "uploads" you spoke of.
    Others on this thread have stated that background downloads are not a problem for them, which is no help to me. Windows Explorer, Metapad and even dreaded Notepad can take upto 30 seconds to open a new doc, while KIS is background updating.

Admittedly the PC age might not be helping, but since it is a raw PV + WinXP sp3 32bit + Metapad + KIS + Firefox_18.0.1 ... it is not under a lot of load.
    It was supremely faster under Trend AV. I only changed to KIS when I learnt about the difference between virus and malware (and I still hope I am using the correct terminology)

I will give "Kaspersky Update Utility 2.0" a go.
    Thanks again for all feedback

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im sorry im baffled by all of this...What difference does it possibly make how quick the updates are downloaded as long as you get them.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :ninja:

12. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

13. berryracer

when u first install Windows, then follow it by Kaspersky Internet Security or AV, and just want to wait till the update is done so u can create your Acronis True Image of your OS or any other imaging program, it kills you waiting for 40 minutes for the update to finish.

Hence, this comes in really handy as it finishes the update within acouple of minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  14. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

First World Problems.

Don't like to wait a little longer for an update on something you don't even really need.

15. bawldiggle

Thank you "VectorFool" for your input

My frustration with KIS drove me to trial "BitDefender". So far so good.
    I did not experience any invasions during the recent BitDefender "hole".

BD downloads run at 300kb/s -- updating is all over in 3 minutes AND Notepad.exe, Metapad.exe, Explorer.exe open in immediately.

I will trial KIS on my new Win7 Toshiba laptop, before this Acer WinXP goes into landfill. (The Toshiba "is" new -- has sat in its box while I went thru cancer treatment for 2 years)

16. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

how can i edit the update server?

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Settings\Updates (the Globe option)\Update Source\ and then click Add to add a new source.

Note that the sequence in which the sources appear in the list will afeect which one is used, i.e., the first in list is used.

OR see #1 post in this thread.

18. idaho

idaho Registered Member

Yes, from 20kB/s, with new server I have over 150 kB/s. Good post, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.