Solution for Firefox Memory Leak

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. dog

dog Guest

You do also have to realize that some of the memory overhead is caused/created by extensions. Test the memory usage in both regular and "FF Safe Mode" modes and you should see a difference, some extensions cause rather excessive spikes.

Steve

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, I will try this, but how I can reverse back these settings told in this article.

4. dog

dog Guest

Right-click on config.trim_on_minimize and choose reset. For the other tweak mention regarding caching back pages, just change the value back to the original (-1) from the new value of 0.

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

One person in another forum has written this about this fix.

"There isn't a memory leak. It's actually Firefox's cache which stores the last 5 pages you visited. If you have a lot of tabs open, then that multiplies the number of pages stored which makes it take up a lot of memory. That fix just makes it so previously viewed pages aren't stored which may actually decrease performance if you use the back and forward buttons alot."

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ah, I found same tip here as well. So it,s not something new or special.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

they talk about the memory leak in the podcast i posted in the other thread, he said it's the caching too. you could try disabling it.

or use something like TCPView to see what's happening when you browse, then when you see active connections being made after the page has loaded you'll know it's cacheing sites. and/or you can look up the addresses/IPs with one of these standalone tools, if the IP is to a link from the page you are on you have 'caught' firefox redhanded :oops: they are fun to play with too.

it would probably be best to use google to test this, then the cached pages won't be from the same site and the IPs will be clearly different

Win32Whois
    http://www.gena01.com/win32whois/

IPNetInfo
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/ipnetinfo.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.