SolidStateDisk support?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by asembler, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asembler

asembler Registered Member

Any chance for memory caching option or something that will support ssd in next version of system safe?
    This is the only thing stopping me from buying returnil...

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi asembler,

Memory caching has not disappeared as it is an essential part of the Dynamic caching. Further, it functions as a fail safe to ensure that the virtualization cannot be circumvented by damage, corruption, or attack on the disk cache portion of the technology. As has been described in several related threads, the fail safe can be invoked manually by setting the disk cache to 0%.

This is an advanced setting and does not allow commit to disk while virtualized. With that said however, this does not eliminate writes to disk as Memory = RAM + Disk with RAM taking the primary role and the disk portion being internal within the RVS/RSS program itself. For full SSD support the goal is zero writes to disk and this is what we are working for in the RVS Lite 2011 series.

The multi-partition virtualization in the Lite series addresses partial SSD by supporting the creation and storage of on-system disk/partition disk caches on a different non-system disk/partition to minimize the writes for those volumes. This does not yet include the System partition where the disk cache must be created and maintained on the System itself.

As mentioned above, the technology will be integrated into the RSS versions in the future, but I do not have a time frame for when this will be available.

Mike

3. asembler

Thanks Cold!

I had a BSOD with SystemSafe on my new Vertex2 ssd so it scared me :blink:
    I purchased Pro version...hope it will be updated with those features soon...solid disks are becoming affordable so it would be nice that Returnil can support them.

4. Coldmoon

Please send us a report of what happened, when it happened, and the text of any error message you received.

Mike

5. asembler

I would but OS is reinstalled, no traces left...

6. Coldmoon

You mention "System Safe" so the issue happened with an older version of the software. There have been a number of fixes and improvements added since then and you should not see this in the current RSS/RVS Pro or RVS Lite series.

7. asembler

It happened with System Safe 2011 latest version 3.2.10853

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.