Software to backup and restore Outlook

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by AlexC, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Hi KOR,

Here's another (free) program that can 'extract' passwords for Outlook email accounts:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

If programs such as this one (and the one in the link in your post) can read Outlook passwords, I would think it should be a simple matter for backup software (like Outback Plus) to properly restore those passwords.

Also, could it be that your passwords *did* get copied and restored to your registry but somehow a flag got reset, which resulted in a password prompt?

3. aladdin

Hi Prius04,

The Nirsoft Utility you posted does reveals the email passwords. I have used it in the past.

However, the email passwords are encrypted, therefore when one exports the registry and then imports it, they don't show up in the email account.

I will wait for the response of Outback Plus to Pete. It would be nice to know that it does setup the email accounts with passwords. But their site don't mention it.

I have 40+ gmail email accounts. Each gmail email account can import 5 POP accounts, thus 6:1 ratio. Therefore, I have 12 email accounts in my Outlook. Therefore, it is not very hard for me when I set up a New Outlook installation (very rarely) to copy/paste 12 emails passwords for one time when I first time hit "send/receive".

The manual method I use takes about 2 to 3 minutes to set up a New Outlook install for 12 email accounts. No biggie.

I have done this about 6 to 8 times for a New Outlook install.

Best regards,

KOR!

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi KOR

I tip my hat to you. Basically Outback Plus handles all the setup of the accounts and has you ready to go up and running with the exception of the passwords. You need to enter them the first email log on. As you guessed it doesn't store the passwords and they don't do it specifically for security.

As I looked at this I remembered I set it all up, made sure it was working, but never actually did let it download Email.

This indeed is an important point for me, and this goes back to the basic question. One of the reasons I like Outback Plus is it's simplicity. I have a girl who works for me, and specially handles everything when I am on vacation. Naturally that is when stuff happens, and for her Outback plus restore is a bit easier then your solution which requires a bit more technical background. I didn't realize she would have to enter the passwords, which is easy, and she does know them. So this has been time well spent.

Hopefully we all gained something.

Pete

5. claykin

claykin Registered Member

I believe the OP is asking about Outlook backup and restore. For this use Outback Plus from AJ Systems. Works great. I've used it for users who frequently screw up their Outlook and also use it when migrating from one PC to another. It saves a lot of time. Moves everything, except account info is lost when moving from older OL to OL2010.

Another backup/migration tool is Backrex from backsettings.com. Haven't used it but I've heard others say its OK.

Last, KLS Backup Pro is an excellent backup app that has plugins for a lot of programs. It will backup and restore Outlook data. I really like KLS Backup Pro. (BTW, in case you care, KLS Backup Pro also does disk imaging and outputs a VHD file. This can be restored using similar methods to restore other VHD files.)

Regarding sync, I don't recommend it. The only way sync can work correctly is if you are diligent to close Outlook on PC1 and wait for the sync to complete before opening Outlook on PC2. And vise versa. Corruption is common and problems do occur. I do NOT recommend it. Dropbox does not have the magic pill to address this limitation in the PST database. Applications exist that are designed to handle sync of OL data. A couple are Sync2 from 4Team and SynchPST from Wisco. Frankly, I'd rather move off OL than use either of these.

If you have multiple PC's and need to sync your OL data (other than email), consider hosted MS Exchange. Companies like Sherweb sell hosted Exchange with 25GB mailboxes for $8/user/month including Activesync. If you only need to sync email use IMAP instead of POP3 on both PC's.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. aladdin

Hi Pete,

Thank you and you are right that we all gained something, including me. You are a very good person and for this reason you are one of the Global Moderators.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

KOR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.