Software to analyze your "HiJack This" log

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I just received notice about a program named HiJack Reader. According to the notice, its capabilities are...
    I have never used this program, nor do I plan to do so. When problems arise, I restore things using Image For DOS.

Ergo, my post here does not constitute any sort of recommendation. I just thought the program sounded interesting, & supposed that some folks might want to give it a go. If you do so, please share experiences.

aloha... bellgamin

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

I just tried it, I am not impressed with the results (too many items: fix if unknown or unknown)
    So profs don't need this tool and for home users it is dangerous.
    I have seen better online analyzers.
    Just my 2 cents,

Gerard

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I'm with you...I wouldn't trust it either...I have the 'A Squared HijackThis' programme, but here again, a lot of the advocated stuff is classed as 'Unknown'...what use is that?.....

If the programme doesn't do the biz then why promote it??...

Cochise.

4. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I really wonder what qualified helpers of Malware Forums will think about this software. They work with HijackThis Logs all the time and it takes quite some time to learn and interprete these logs.
    And this software is supposed to do all that like a piece of cake ? I doubt that very much.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I know how to analyse HJT logs, but I'm not good at it when it comes to forums. Because I'm more accustomed to hands-on approaches. It's easier to analyse HJT logs if I can access the victim's computer, that way I know exactly which entries are bad ones.

Because on the forum, its hard to tell right from wrong in a HJT log sometimes. What looks like a suspicious entry may not be sometimes. Anyway, I won't trust a automated program to analyse HJT logs since it can't tell right from wrong! :ouch:

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've spent a year at SpywareInfo Forum. That forum had even an education center, called BootCamp, to teach people how to solve HJT Logs and to become a qualified helper at SWI.
    You need a good background knowledge of each Windows version and alot of other stuff, besides the HJT Log itself.
    Sometimes even the most experienced helpers had troubles to solve an infection. I was too lazy to learn all that stuff. Pffft.

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Havent tried 'em recently but some of the online analyzers I've looked at were very poor or just wrong! Perhaps theyre are better ones now, anyway just couldnt understand why they got it so wrong when just comparing against known, or perhaps I wasnt using 'em right! Havent looked at HiJack Reader nor would I use it personnally. - Google the unknowns.

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Online analyzers are awful. They can never substitue hard earned research and work. Just manually research every single entry. Use google, castlecops, and other websites that have databases and then you will be good to go. Analyzers always get something wrong, and hijackthis can completely screw your computer over if used incorrectly. So, just research yourself and you will not only ensure you have a pretty clean pc, but learn a lot as well.

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.