Software Opinions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HolyWind, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HolyWind

HolyWind Registered Member

Question:

I’m almost done building my new computer and putting everything together. I need some feedback on the programs I’m about to install and see if anything can be eliminated or lacking there of. This rig was built for on-line gaming so I want it to be light but have good protection, internet connection and ping is crucial.

Here is the list of products, I was thinking of installing.

Windows XP / SP2 / All available updates
    D-Link 4100 Gaming Router (Hardware)
    Total Uninstall
    Nod32 (BlackSpears Settings)
    Adware SE Professional
    CCleaner
    FireFox 1.5.1
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta)
    SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.4
    SpyWareBlaster 3.5.1
    TCP Optimizer

Thanks in Advanced

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Personal opinions based on experience to follow. Last time I tried firefox it would hold on to memory even after closed. It also crashed a lot. I suggest Opera 8.51. AdAware pro's adwatch is problematic, so I'd disable it or downgrade to personal. ccleaner don't trust it, 86 it. TuneUp Utilities 2006 much better. MSAS too heavy & still beta. Trend Micro Anti-Spyware instead. Otherwise good for gaming rig. If it wasn't for gaming I'd add ProcessGuard, MJ Registry Watcher or WinPatrol, AdMuncher, HDD Thermometer, O&O CleverCache, RegProt, ScripTrap, and GhostWall or Sygate pf or LnS or Kerio.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I'm a gamer myself, so it looks cool.
    You have hw firewall, av and as in real time, the rest are on-demand so they don't matter. You might not need the tcp optimizer. If you need to forward ports to be able to game, then perhaps you should also consider a light software firewall - maybe ghostwall, windows firewall or similar.
    Just be aware - no matter how broad your connection is, you will always be limited by server latencies. And no matter how good your connection is, you need good pc (ram and graphic card) for solid performance.
    Mrk

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    You can add Ewido and A-Squared for anti-trojans. EasyCleaner (don't use Duplicate file features if you're not expert) and CleanCache 3.2 for cleaning junks. ;) Also, Diskeeper Lite free or Diskeeper 10 for defragmenting automatically. :cool:

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

One of the most useful, and nifty things I've installed, and now highly recommend, is Eric Howes IE-Spyad. That little tool really cuts down a lot of through the browser crapware.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Agree with zapjb re Firefox. Opera is faster & doesn't have Firefox's memory leak problem. Disagree concerning CCleaner. It's safe for cleaning junk files. To clean registry, I suggest Ace Utilities.

The only stuff that really affects game play is real-time monitors (RTM). On your list I see following RTMs...
    Nod32 (BlackSpears Settings)
    Adware SE Professional
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta)

NOD is low impact & fast. I have no info on the Microsoft AS. I think you should disable Adaware's RTM during game sessions.

The ONLY additional RTM I suggest is BOClean -- fast, low impact, VERY effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.