Software is able to access internet even if blocked all access in my firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Niels, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Dear,

Some time ago I got Infected with Internet Antivirus. I blocked all executable files in my firewall which is part of BitDefender Total Security 2008. I thought that it was now impossible for the program to update but it was able to do so. I could see it because the files that were putted inside the installation directory were indeed changed.

I even opened the section of BitDefender firewall were you can see all open ports or processes which are sending or receiving packets. I couldn't find anything suspicious.

How is that possible?

Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards,
    Niels

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Niels,

First I need to ask. If you have an infection that you can see, then why is it still there. Would you not be better to remove it.

I would say to remove the infection, not attempt to control its internet access.

From the point of its outbound/updating, there are many ways such as control of other applications already given internet access (as simple example: dll injection)

- Stem

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Dear Stem,

First I want to thank you for your prompt response. I really appreciate that.

Sorry that I didn't mentioned in my opening post but Internet Antivirus is removed. I contacted BitDefender support and after an update Internet Antivirus was found and deleted. I can't say that it's completely removed but I couldn't see any pop-up's anymore also the installation directory wasn't there anymore. I denied access as a temporary measure so the program wasn't able to update itself because it wasn't yet detected by my antivirus.

When this happened only iexplore.exe was connected to the internet. I couldn't find any other executable files that had access to the internet.

Kind regards,
    Niels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.