Software/hardware queries:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

1) In recent Firefox updates, seems all/nearly all of my bookmarks vanish - leaving me sorely vexed, as I thought this was not supposed to occur. Are bookmarks still "there" somewhere that I can find/use, or is there a "repair" option of sorts that will remedy this?

2) Our great 20" Dell Flat Panel Display suddenly stopped working; had to plug in big/old box junker CRT that does still work, more or less. So, the flat panel that I bought in MAR of this yr., just crapped out/period - and so soon?! Any idea on if this happens with FPDs on a routine basis?

3) Today, suddenly, for about 9-10 hrs. we had no net connection. Stumbled across the Start/Settings/Network Connections and then checked LAN and after that, the dialog box said "Enabling." Then, things worked again. Well, we used the net last night and then again earlier today, then browsers suddenly could not open pages, etc. How/why would things become disabled, like this, in the first place? Another sorely vexing mystery, to say the least.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I recommend that you jump onto the FireFox forum and address this issue.

FireFox Forum

Also, check this web page

FireFox Lost Bookmarks

No, it is not standard SOP for a FPD. Call Dell and exercise your warranty. Obviously you will need your "Proof of Purchase" handy when you call them.

Possible malware. Run scans with your security scanners. A remote scan with Bit Defender and/or Kaspersky would be appropriate too. Both require ActiveX, so you will need to use IE for these scans. Be sure your resident AV is disabled during the remote scans.

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Possible intermittent connection on Ethernet cables.
    When you have the problem again, power down computer, router, modem, and visually check the length of the Ethernet cables for damage.
    Check Ethernet end connectors for loose/partial connections.
    Unplug and then replug Ethernet connectors.
    Power up modem and wait for it to initialize, then power up router and wait for it to initialize, then power up computer.

Maybe it has nothing to do with hardware, but that is the first thing to check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.