Software firewall only scenario... suggestions?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TheWindBringeth, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I'm configuring a Win7 Home Premium desktop for a non-computer-savvy friend who desires no-cost protection for this machine which will be directly connected to their Comcast cable modem (which I'm told has no user-configurable firewall functionality). This "simplicity and low maintenance are key, no external FW protection" scenario is new to me. The Win7 machines I configured before were for myself, and even before I got into complicated firewall etc rules I took a hatchet to services.

They used Comcast's complimentary Norton Security Suite (similar to Norton 360 v5 I've read) before, so I'm going to take a look at that (dedicated test LAN to sniff what it's firewall allows out, to port scan it, etc). I wanted to ping you guys too though, if I may, since some of you may have been down this road recently and have a better feel for what suites this scenario. It seems to me that a software firewall with a strong "public network by default" ruleset would be advantageous. Your thoughts?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is the "no cost" preference negotiable? An inexpensive (<$40) router with NAT and other firewall features used along with a firewall on the PC would provide better protection than any software firewall alone.

4. TheWindBringeth

@Kees1958: Yeah... some user familiarity + ISP familiarity + PC manufacturer familiarity (it shipped with NIS 2012) might prove helpful.

@Victek123: I'm going to encourage them to buy or scrounge something. I'm sure the new PC and backup media were an unwelcome expense, so I don't know how it will go.

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

You can get a basic router for about $25-30, or maybe even less if he buys refurbished. And then he can add more computers or a game console if he wants, or use wireless.

Let him know that once it's set up, you don't have to manage it. Maybe just update the firmware with a known stable version once a year, but other than that, put DD-WRT or OpenWRT on it (unless it comes with that like some of the Buffalo routers) and call it a day.

6. TheWindBringeth

I must resist the urge to disable/block things.

:gack:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.