software firewall for laptop wifi ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have Vista Home Basic on my laptop and have a need to connect to wifi. My current software firewall is PC Tools. Are there any special settings I need to be aware of with wifi access? When searching for a software firewall for wifi what features should I look for? Also, is the PC Tools firewall sufficient when using my laptop to connect to wifi?

thanks

2. simisg

simisg Registered Member

its ok

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im in the same situation as u and i was stuck between PCT FW and Outpost Pro but i think i may go with PCT FW

4. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Have you considered Online Armor? Seems fine for my laptop with wi-fi, and light on resources.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

As far as wifi goes, what would OA provide which is not included in PCT firewall? I like PCT. It is light and never causes me any problems. I am just not sure if it is right for wifi or not.

thanks

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

from the info ive gathered PCT FW is pretty robust and will do a pretty good job, and only real benefit OA FW has is the runsafer feature, but the FW itself (not including HIPS) IMO isnt the best but its still good, just nothing exceptional, the HIPS is wer they excel

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Using a VPN over open wi-fi is perhaps even more important then the firewall. Have a look at HotspotShield. I use it occasionally to protect site logon information. I find the ads annoying, but I put up with them for the security. There are subscription VPN services as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.