SoftRescue Pro...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by haqk2za, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haqk2za

haqk2za Registered Member

anyone hear of softrescue pro? (by anovasoft)

their website (http://www.softrescue.com/us/) claims it's a better migration software than what's available (PC Mover)...

my laptop is giving me huge issues, and i have to do a windows reinstall (registry repairs, windows repairs, etc., have not made a difference...), but i don't want to lose the programs that i have loaded now...and don't want to spend days looking for and then re-loading programs otherwise...

softrescue claims it will transfer the programs and registry settings only, without any other 'bugs' or junk from before...

thanks...and a happy new year to you too...

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Why not try a Win XP Repair Install (there are lots of guides out there - this is just one) first?

Blue

3. haqk2za

haqk2za Registered Member

thanks for the suggestion...

unfortunately, my laptop os is xp tablet oem, and i only have vendor oem restore disks, not 'real' ms tablet xp disks...

i do have access to a regular xp pro disk, but when i tried it for the repair install from the site noted, i get to where i have to enter the xp key, and even tho i enter the key from my laptop (used a keyfinder to get the real one), it comes up as 'invalid key'--and the key from the 'official' ms sticker on the bottom of the laptop did not work either...i called ms and they won't help, they referred me to the laptop vendor, the laptop vendor says that i have to use the restore disks--there is no repair option...and then the xp key will be entered automatically when i do the restore...(he also said using a 'regular' xp disk will not work and make me lose the tablet functions)...

that's why i'm looking to see if i can use the SoftRescue software to reload everything in a nice & neat package after i restore...

4. Pima9770

Pima9770 Registered Member

I've used Soft Rescue and it seemed to work fine for me. I used it on a desktop to a laptop and it switched over the stuff I wanted. I didn't try moving a ton of applications, but all the "main stream" applications worked well and 3 out of the 4 specialized/lesser known programs worked. The 4th had been giving me trouble on the desktop previously, so I'm not sure if it was Soft Rescue or if was the program that was the problem. Either way I was very happy not having to do it all manually. It also saved all My Documents, email and some other folders I wanted moved over.

I'd recommend trying it out. I wasn't so sure it was going to to work, but I was pleasantly surprised. :) The only suggestion I have is to choose the "no compression" option if you have enough room on another drive/network/etc. I tried fastest compression and no compression and the "No Compression option is much faster.

Hope this helps.

N. Patrick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.