Softpedia Exclusive Interview: AVG

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CiX, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Article

2. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I was also reading your signature and I realized that you have as real protection 360 antivirus a.k.a antivirus 360. Maybe you meant Norton 360, but 360 antivirus or Antivirus 360 is a rogue; I only hope you knew that. Now in the case that you did not know here is a step by step instruction on how to remove that rogue from your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-360

Thanks.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  4. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Not rogue ;)
    Just edit my sig because lots of people believe I m using a rogue :argh:

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Very nice to read...:)

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Nice Article "CiX"...Thanks for updating all of us.

I wonder what he's going to implement in his upcoming release? HIPS ?

7. CiX

CiX Registered Member

waiting for AVG v10 :cool:

8. gery

gery Registered Member

When might it come? this year? Hope so as my license runs out in a few months

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Guys I am going a little off topic. Is there any other browser add-on that does exactly like AVG link scanner? I mean not website blacklisting approach? Just guessing Finjan Secure Browsing? I had seen that it scans links like AVG.

10. progress

progress Guest

Yes, it's the only one beside AVG Link Scanner.

I guess the free version will get the full anti-rootkit features :D

11. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

Is Dr.Web LinkChecker not similar?

12. progress

progress Guest

... but you have to enter every link manually :rolleyes:

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I think AVG is better than Finjan. Finjan is slow.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

lol, evading answer on the free vs paid antirootkit protection..

I just checked the latest test on AV-C and they never scored Advanced+
    I checked the latest Retroactive, Proactive, Dynamic, Removal and PUA tests, and they scored just Advanced on all of them except Dynamic, on which they scored Standard..

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

In my eyes HIPS doesnt fit at all in AVG's product, since AVG wants to be a really easy to use program. And it doesn't want to throw pop-ups (you can see this in the way AVG implemented the firewall, just support for the AV).
    Also in my eyes HIPS really ain't more innovative than behavior-blocking or cloud-bases, in contrary, it totally relies on user knowledge for protection/prevention. AVG is most used by people who don't know a lot about computers.

You can all shoot me, but AVG remains one of my favourite free antiviruses (version 8 wasn't, but version 9 is again, and I am sure AVG10 will be good). My three favourites are (ranked):
    1. Panda Cloud Antivirus (the 1.1 beta surely kicks ass);
    2. Microsoft Security Essentials;
    3. AVG Free.
    Yes indeed, not avast! (just a matter of personal preference I guess, because I really can't say something bad about it, I just ain't my favourite). (Avira I don't like at all, just like PC Tools Antivirus and Immunet Protect.)

16. progress

progress Guest

... but they should include the full antirootkit features finally! :(

17. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

That is indeed its major drawback.
    Although there also have been some tests the now included antirootkit aint bad, and althought I dont need antirootkit since I use 64-bit OS.

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I really like AVG's approach - unobtrusive security. I always did. The user does not have to be bugged all the time with alerts! Period! More alerts don't mean better security. And, please folks, don't come and say that that's how you like it, because... well... I'm not talking about you; I'm talking about what everyone enjoys designating as "normal computer user".

They, which also includes my family members, do not have to be bugged by: Oh, this process is trying to do this neat thing. Wish to allow or deny it?

Come on... When they end up answering all answers, it's already night, noon or morning.

Even my self, I like it really simple, and one step is to make an exact copy of my hard disk when O.S and applications get installed; then protect my documents folder from unauthorized access and backup the files, just in case of hard disk failure. Isolate software, including web browser.

A few other simple security measures, well simple compared to HIPS, and I'm done. No HIPS annoying me. I want to enjoy the computer and the web.

I really don't understand HIPS. I used to use them, and that's why now when looking back I really don't understand what took me to use them. Protection through bugging?

I also don't like Avira, but merely because whether using the free or paid version, people connecting to the Internet with USB connection devices won't be able to have the e-mail and web scanning modules. Avira told me not to use those two protections, rather than actually trying to reproduce it and solve it. Go figure.

Now, AVG has a very minimalist and easy to use UI.

I hope that the new free version to come includes either anti-rootkit protection or the AVG Identity Protection. I guess we can't expect both. But, considering that rootkit protection can be found elsewhere, AVG IDP would be a great addition to the free version.

19. progress

progress Guest

Does anyone know when we will get AVG 10? :doubt:

20. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Next year for sure !!:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.