Softpedia Exclusive Interview: avast! 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Page42, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

good read, thanks for posting

3. icr

icr Registered Member

Nice read:)

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Good read. :thumb: Great product, great staff.

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I would have liked to see avast develop a standalone firewall incorporating the route tracer ,etc.An up to-date sygate so to speak for those that are fed up with hips type firewall.I thought their first try in the suite was very admirable.That seems to be ruled out though in the interview.Shame because im sure there might be a niche market for it.
    ellison

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I think it's a great decision for them to keep their focus on their AV. I've seen other products suffer while trying to branch off in too many directions and develop suite components, ect... Stick to what you're good at and keep improving it. I'm actually kind of surprised that they even developed a suite at all.

IMO Eset should have stuck to AV, Comodo should have stuck with FW/HIPS. I'd rather have a bunch of great stand-alone products than a bunch of suites that do 1 thing well, but not so much the other.

I also could have done without the shots aimed at Avira. I understand there is much animosity between the companies, but it just ends up making them both look bad in the end.

7. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Most people want suites, and that's a fact. To that end, you can't really compete with an AV-only solution, long term...

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I can't agree with you on this. Stating that, "I don’t quite trust the Avira’s numbers as they seem to be inconsistent", doesn't strike me as much of a shot (singular, not plural). And in fairness, the interviewer did broach the subject by comparing the two... "Avira recently claimed an over 145 million user base. We know that avast! celebrated reaching 100 million registered users back in December." Assuming for a moment that Avira is misstating its numbers, that in itself is "taking a shot" at all competitiors, and to my way of thinking, a company has every right to address that. In no way does Alwil make itself look bad by doing so.

9. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree, don't think it was a dig at Avira, just discussing the amount of free users, and that if you added up all the claims, might be more than actual free users.

I still think, a company like Avast could develop a simple stand-alone firewall like sygate, something simple and straight-forward, and see how it is for sales. The technology is already developed in Avast's latest product.

I don't think stand-alone FWs can compete if it's $19.95, like others advertise, but $10 a year, even $14.95, I'm sold! There is a niche for it, just look at the firewall thread, and see how many times people want a simple firewall.

10. apm

apm Registered Member

why AVs add firewall? it is totally 2 different thing, at Win7 third party firewall is needless. AVs better focus on AV and heuristics something like threatfire.

11. luciddream

You must have missed this part, either selectively or otherwise:

"Unlike the other vendors, we don’t rush upgrading our users."

Now of course one can claim that statement was a generalization and not aimed at any vendor in particular, but I think anybody being objective about this knows better. Before somebody plays the part of the politician in a debate here, no... I have no proof.

Both companies make themselves look bad when they take these shots at each other. I really don't see how somebody could not acknowledge this unless their loyalty to either one clouds their objectivity.

And yeah vlk, I can understand most people would want a suite. And notice I didn't include your product as one that is good at one thing and not another. Anyhow I was actually trying to compliment you and your company on the direction you're taking for the future.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Nope. Didn't miss it. I posted the article. You can rest assured that I read it. What I've missed is your reason for saying Vlk is taking shots. Taking a shot would be you suggesting that I read selectively. Taking a shot would be me saying you are overly-sensitive or trolling. Vlk stated that 2/3 of Alwil's user base is still using an older version, and they expect that to last into autumn. No shots there, friend. That's telling it like it is.

And by the way, keep in mind that loyalty is not the only thing that can cloud one's objectivity.

13. luciddream

Well you're making it pretty clear that you're not being objective about this, or you'd acknowledge that I'm including BOTH parties here. It's counter-productive for both of them... I'm hardly singling vlk out here. And to deny that both sides have tossed barbs back and forth over time (not just in this article) would be a downright misrepresentation of the truth. And you'd have a hard time convincing me that the comment I pointed out was not a shot. I think anybody "truly" being honest about this would see it as one given the history. Of course that criteria eliminates many people in here off the bat, as most seem to think that in order to show loyalty to one product you must scorn all others in the process. I never bought into that logic, and don't understand it.

I like both products. You'd only need to take 1 look in a thread in the active forum here regarding my take on avnotify and certain outbound connections to see I take no sides here. I criticize when warranted and give praise when deserved. Avast5 is probably the best AV I've ever used, and Avira10 is right about there with them in my estimation. THAT is objectivity. Some of you should try it sometime... it's enlightening.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I get it now.
    We don't see eye to eye, so I'm not being objective.
    Sorry I disagreed with you, pal ;)

15. Technic

Technic Registered Member

W7 with it's own firewall is enough. Go for Pro too (AV)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.