Softmaker office 2008 for Free

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nikanthpromod, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Soft maker office 2008 for free and donates money
    http://www.loadandhelp.de/home-en.html
    SoftMaker donates € 0.10 for every successful download to well-chosen development and charity projects on betterplace.org

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

As far as I can see under the Press release (bottom of page) this free offer is from 14th to 31st December.

It looks a decent piece of software with an active forum. Costs a bit to buy so looks like a good deal. Anyone here use it?

3. nikanthpromod

its better than MS office 2007 and open office in many reviews:)

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I originally started using this Office series when I bought Ashampoo's version of it. I really like it. It's not perfect but it does much of what I need. Much, much smaller than something like Open Office. It also can be 'exported' to a USB flash drive for a fully portable version.

IMO, the only caveat is that the 2008 version can't work with the latest Microsoft 'x' version documents, like docx and so forth. To gain that ability, you need to move to Softmaker Office 2010 (which I have done.)

No idea what version of 2008 you'll get but if it's the full version (and they say it is) then you may need to update it with the latest service pack (which is build 505) found here http://www.softmaker.com/english/servold_en.htm

I still use MS Office for some things but this definitely has it's place too. Highly recommended!!!

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Installed it in a FD-ISR snapshot for a little play.

Must say I wish all softwares installed as quickly and easily as this.

All seemed to work well and smoothly. Was a bit confused at first with the little explorer icon in the taskbar!

Not bad at all :)

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I think the icon is called SMASH. No idea what the name stands for but it's essentially a quick access launcher for the Office apps. I don't use it and don't really recommend installing it. But each to his/her own... :)

7. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Downloading the Windows and Linux versions. Noticed on their site that a 3 pc license upgrade from the older versions to the Office 2010 is available for $49.00. Hope this will work for the free 2008 version.

I pretty much use only Word and Excel but I have used them for a long time so I hope the learning curve is not very steep...I'm retired and lazy.

8. nikanthpromod

fast and simple:thumb:
    Not a bloatware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.