Sock Puppets

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Searching_ _ _, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Acceptable use for sock puppets would be for Administration and Moderation, one name to administer to the forum another to join discussions, any more than that and you're blurring the lines into dishonesty, untrustworthiness and disingenuousness.

Most sock puppets are escapist tools for the disingenuous image managers.
    1. Evil me 2. Angel me 3. the Answerer 4. Ego me (three of me will attack you) 5. Angry me (let's get'em Ego) 6. Shy me 7. Male me 8. Female me 9. Cajoler me

I have one name per forum to which I belong, I take the good with the bad, I live and learn by taking the lumps. If you can't make your posts available in one name, one persona then what trust can be given if you're not being honest with the use of multiple incarnations.

To join a conversation where 10 people are taking part, only to find that 6 of them are one person speaks to the dishonesty of the real person behind the masks.

I like to go to trusted people for valid information but with sock puppet masters dishonesty it gives them an image that makes invalid their trustworthiness and makes valid information they post extremely questionable.

Drop Your Socks

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Are you able to give a bit more info here on what you mean.

Are you saying there is someone posting on this forum using multiple user names?

Have you informed an admin such as LWM?

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

"I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
    I am the walrus, goo goo goo joob" - The Beatles lyrics - "I Am The Walrus"

:D

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

When wilders had it's 100,000th member celebration I avoided that post like the plague, though I ROFL'd.
    If half of 10,000 members register 10 additional accounts each that's an additional 50,000 accounts of sock puppets.

The only thing weirder is never posting under the same name twice.

Sock Puppet - Meatball Wiki

LWM is an insider, I'm an outsider, his awareness is greater than mine. ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The way I see it, once an individual is using a "persona", he or she is not being completely honest about who they are. The difference then, between one persona or multiple personas, is tantamount to saying, "Hey, I'm not being honest, but YOU are really not being honest!".

The line has been crossed. No one uses their real name. What cares I if they aren't using their real name once, twice or three times? People talk to themselves in real life... and apparently they do it in forums too. Makes no difference to me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.