So what exactly is the business model/reason the "name brand" A-Vs give them away

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

after rebate? With less than two months left on my Norton subscription, my new Norton CD has arrived that I purchased from Newgg this week. I'll wait until the last day then enter the new license number. It was $40 but with the Symantec prepaid $40 Visa, $0. This is the third year in a row!
    The next few days Newegg followed with AVG, McAfee and two others I noticed. Since December (When again I started to pay attention as my Norton was winding down.) I noticed whole suites from Norton, Kaspersky, etc. were offered free after rebate.
    So, a) Do they assume % will never claim the rebate? b) They'll get your renewal $ next year? c) The number of subscribers is a significant advertising point? d) More subscribers greater potential to identify the next threat and get it into their data base? e) None of the above? f) All of the above?

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I don't know about these, but at one of the last places I worked, sales would skyrocket (for the day) when we'd do giveaways. A number of them were an upgraded version, but there would also be an unusually high number of sales for the same version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.