So what about that "off" switch ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by gue_st, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gue_st

gue_st Guest

I understand, it is maybe not important for many, but it IS important that software (especially antivirus) can be instantly switched off (unloaded completely).

Firstly, as a matter of principle. It is extremely odd(and, unfortunately, popular too) to write software without simple "off" button. As if buying it is yet not enough to have control over it. Or, as if they know better what and when needs to be running on my computer.

Secondly, Audio Production Software (and, maybe some other, too) requires not only special computer configuration, but also absolutely no unnecessary processes running . No matter how sad would it be for Eset, you simply DO NOT run antivirus with ProTools or Nuendo, and it is not going to change.
    But that does not mean that in many cases it would be not useful to have antivirus installed. Simply, you choose one with that "off" button, and check that everything is really "off".
    If NOD32 had it, I would have probably installed already over 300 of them, that's all the difference - now it is another antivirus, even NOD32 is better.

But my question is simply - why "Quit" button only unloads user interface - is it silly programming, or some special very useful feature beyond my understanding?

2. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Because if there was a simple 'off' switch then what is one of the first things the virus and malware writers would target? Correct, the 'off' switch that you want.

3. gue_st

gue_st Guest

This of course sounds logical, but probably is not serious.
    Have you heard "off" switches attacked in any known ativirus software? Probably, you simply need to know how to make that switch properly.
    And, by the way, they have so many swithes in NOD32 to attack, what's the problem?

4. pc-support

There are a few viruses that target and disable antivirus software: bugbear being the best known of the bunch.
    I would rather have software that cant be disabled than software that can...

5. gue_st

gue_st Guest

That is of course true. But what I was saying is that there is no known issues with viruses shutting down AV like Trend Office Scan or Kaspersky AV, which have those "off" switches.

"Imposssibility" - it unfortunately simply does not exist. Usually this kind of protection protects mostly from yourself, giving only illusion of security.

The best antivirus is the one you can use, and I just explained that NOD32 cannot be used in certain cases. If it is of no concern for Eset, fine for me, luckily there are other products available.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since an Eset rep has not commented....hopefully you have not assumed that they don't care :doubt:

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This is what we call "Self-Protection". You can terminate/quit GUI but engine will remain loaded to memory protecting you from any detectable threats.

Only way to disable it is:
    AMON -> Setup -> Security tab -> Allow manual stopping checkbox

Check this checkbox and Stop (Unload) AMON will become available in AMON panel. But just unchecking "File System Monitor (AMON) enabled" in AMON panel should be enough for any day to day usage (this is just pausing the engine instead actually unloading it). Main NOD32 kernel service CANNOT be unloaded completely no matter what you do. It will always remain active. Probably a part of self-protection. Kaspersky Antivirus is using similar protection method (especially latest 2006 line). So this isn't anything unusual.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You can quite easily shut off the 4x modules, just bring up the Control Center....uncheck the boxes in AMON, EMON, DMON, and IMON. I dunno the reason you need to shut down the protection..but there it is. This is one of the lightest antivirus proggies out there, so there's not really a need to shut it down to do something like gaming, or video encoding, or what it is that other AV proggies bog down your system like a South American 3 Toed Tree Sloth where you're in the habit of shutting them down.

9. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I have to disable (uncheck) AMON in order to run Speed Disk (no, Norton antivirus is not installed), otherwise it freezes the system. Also, when I run JV16 Power Tools, if I disable AMON first, it loads a lot faster.

10. pc-support

I've never noticed any difference in speed with NOD being on or off and jv16 powertools (another fantastic program!)

11. auriell

auriell Registered Member

Sorry for OT, but adding Registry Healer http://www.zoneutils.com/regheal/index.htm (with its extra ability to remove empty registry entries) and ERUNT http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ (free registry backup tool) with its NTREGOPT (free registry defragmentation tool) to your jv16PowerTools will cover almost all your possible registry issues.

You can also find this free registry tool to be useful (Regscrub) - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048

I found it to be the best when using like this:

1. Make a copy of your registry files with ERUNT
    2. Run jv16PowerTools registry cleaner
    3. Run Registry Healer with its "empty registry keys" option enabled in full mode
    4. Run NTREGOPT - the part of ERUNT program (registry defragmentation tools)
    5. Reboot your machine and check if everything is ok.
    6. Make a copy of your new, clean and compacted registry files with ERUNT.
    7. Defragment your HDD with one of the tools you may have on your system.

Of course you can make a lot of other system tweaks to make your system running smooth - disabling services which are not necessary and much more.... I have found my system (WIN XP PRO SP2) utilising 126 MB of RAM with my AV (NOD32) and FW (OP3) running

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  12. gue_st

gue_st Guest

Yes, I have, sorry about that.

When I tried to contact technical support, I got an answer from which I could understand that NOD32 is THAT good, but NOTHING at all about those technical questions I have raised.

Here in other thread, Eset moderator only appears when somebody suggests other AV's were also good - and guess what - with that well-worn AVBulletin thing :D. At the same time, my other thread about missing custom user interface is of course not worth anybody's precious attention(I mean Eset of course).

How do you discuss something technical with people who are not ready for that, because they are SO great?

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Unfortunatelly i must agree with you. This is their tech support but most of threads are see are usually unanswered with proper answer, possibly from ESET staff itself. But as soon as you meantion any other AV they move thread to Other AVs subforum. :rolleyes:
    I prefered freedom of speech on avast! forums we could freely compare avast! with others and no one ever moved/locked any thread.
    But hey it's ESET who controls how they work and i can't argue with that.
    But honestly it's doing more damage to them than any good...

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'm sorry to hear that but no one from Eset has ever moved a thread to another forum.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok, sorry about that, i mant moderators that do that all the time.
    Weird policy. Can't anything be done regarding that?
    I belive most of AV vendors respect user opinions, complaints and recommendations when something isn't ok.
    I ranted on avast! forums about this and that, gave few recommendations how to improve things and they actually fixed or listened to me. I ranted about their sometimes slow samples adding. And maybe few weeks later i get info from devs that they're hiring new analysts and also they've added quiet huge amounts of samples lately.

Sure it's sometimes not exactly pleasent to hear bad things about your hard work (program) but it can also help you much in the future.
    Also tech support is thing that users notice the most i think.

NOD32 is great and i like it very much. Only thing that didn't imopressed me exactly was just tech support here on forums (i asked things here and there but only users mostly helped me). Although it was nothing really serious...

I hope this post dosn't sound too negative or something:oops:

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

The Nod32 "SUPPORT" forum is intended for Nod "SUPPORT" issues, it is not meant for discussions of or comparisons to every other anti-virus available. As moderators we will continue to maintain Nod32 as a support forum, every other discussion can be continued on this very same website in the “Other Anti-virus” forum.

This is no different than discussing GM in a Ford forum or Suzuki in a Honda forum.

This is the same worldwide, user to user help is part and parcel of forums, it keeps staff costs to a minimum, and they can concentrate on the difficult issues, instead of how to uninstall and reinstall Nod32 ;) :D

Cheers :D

17. gue_st

gue_st Guest

So, if fI want to use NOD32 on the computers I am selling, but cannot due to some limitations, then discussing that here is not a technical support?

Because, with email support, I have impression that people answering me are not really qualified enough to even understand the matter correctly.

And, why you are so afraid of comparison? Don't you think that NOD could largely benefit from a good look at other AV's user interface?
    That is, IF better product is a goal. If it is just to keep everybody happy with what you get, then of course...:D

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I believe you have answered your own question, it is a support issue, and thus it can be addressed in this support forum.

They certainly are qualified, and if your matter is beyond their experience then they themselves have the support of Eset Developers.

No one is afraid of comparisons, I will ask you to read my previous post again, you will see that Nod32 can be compared to xyz anti-virus to your hearts content within this very same website right here at www.wilderssecurity.com in the “Other Anti-virus” forum. Now I know you can understand the concept of maintaining a forum for its purpose, and that as stated before, you wouldn't expect to discuss in detail a Suzuki in a Honda forum, so why would you expect any different in the Nod32 forum?

I can assure you that they are fully aware of other Graphical User Interfaces of the various manufacturers.

Having a look around the forum you will see that most if not all users want to help improve Nod32 and maintain its quality.

Cheers :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, as someone who has performed these moves on occasion, let me provide some context.

I don't move the threads if it's a simple mention or feature set comparision of NOD32 vs. product X. I would move the thread, or encourage continuation of discussion in the Other AV Software forum if the bulk of the exchanges started to be a discussion of the relative merits of products X vs. Y vs. Z. When the first mention of an alternate product occurs, the threads often head in that direction as multiple posters chime in on the reasons they use alternate AV options. Nothing wrong with that, but clearly it's not the subject matter of a dedicated support forum when the balance shifts from a NOD32-based discussion to one in which the predominate topic is other AV products.

In general, we do the move so that we don't have continued admonishments to remain on-topic (i.e. focused on NOD32). We try to strike a balance in this regard, sometimes more successfully than others. However, in all instances my aim, our aim, is to provide for unfettered rationale discussion.

Personally, I don't see the issue. In any case, the discussion remains available in its entirety for all to see and will generally experience greater traffic and input when it is placed in the appropriate location.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.