So Many choices

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by maddawgz, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

hi all ok i have my Av sorted..now im onto Real time Malaware spyware protection i was using Ewido NOw im testing 30 day trial of A2 squared ..... then there is superantispyware Pro?.... and i have Ashampoo too....there's just to many choices lol...... so what's the Nod32 equivalant of the Malaware spyware applications lol , the best real me gaurd to have?? i can always use others on demand i know..but real time thanks MD

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I had the same conundrum. Installed KIS 6 as principal defence and was looking for secondary antimalware defenses. Evaluated a few but found that Ewido Free was too heavy and that Spyware Doctor & Spyware Sweeper were the same (and not free).

I finally settled on SUPERAntiSpyware Free and Spyware Terminator (free in any case). SAS has received excellent reviews for both free and paid for versions (paid for version has real time scanner). ST is up and coming and has a real time scanner and HIPS features available in the free version. Both on demand scanners seem to run relatively quickly and comprehensively and I use both (but have not enabled the ST real time scanner as KIS seems to cover that angle).

Now I was looking for free versions as a secondary line of defenced but as you are looking for paid for software I would go for SUPERAntiSpyware Pro as you get the benefits of the free version....and much more including the real time scanner. The reviews are excellent!

If you search the forum I think that you will find a number of threads delving into the benefits, etc., of both products.

Suffice to say that IMHO they provide the best combo as a secondary line of defence for me. Both are worth a try IMHO.:D

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If you're looking for freeware:
    Spyware Terminator real-time.Small footprint and frequent updates.
    SAS free scanner.
    Ewido and A-Squared are very good too.

Pay for:
    I suggest that you trial some of the choices like;Ewido,SAS,or A-Squared.
    See which program you prefer.

4. maddawgz

thanks guys well it's come down to Ewido..or SAS Paid.... hymmmmmm hard ..I did try the A-2squared trial but when i went to the hijack thing in it and clicked active x i got the blue screen of death..... and white writing yikessssssss said something about installed application so gather it was A2 as i just installed it so i had to uninstall it in safe mode so far so good....... so down to those 2 anyhow...........

Ewido Vs SAS Paid..... hymmm ?

5. Baldrick

Hi maddawgz

I have no axe to grind with either product/I support neither. I tried both free versions and found that SAS was lighter on resources and simpler to use. Ewido has more options and so could be seen as better value for money if they are of use to you. As I also noted previously Ewido has come in for some fire in the past due to its real time scanner being a real hog...but this may have improved since then.

I think that the Tester is right when he suggests that you trial both and make your decidion on what seems/sits right with you system.

Good luck!;)

Have a look at the following threads, they may help?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136606&highlight=Ewido SuperAntiSpyware

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137963&highlight=Ewido SuperAntiSpyware

6. maddawgz

Baldrick hey ewido has more options?? SAS has a few but both run light on my pc ok..... so i guess it's which is the better of them.... I can use one of them as an ondemand anyhow no drama..but as for realtime what does ewido offer over SAS thanks.. MD

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well ewido isnt as good with spyware. it deals with trojans and other malware much better.

each one has a free version so you pay for one and use other on-demand, or just use both freebie on-demand scanners.

8. maddawgz

WSFuser's thanks.... gonna stick with SAS Pro , havnt seen it update thou yet! ... think im pretty cover'd now! I got the demand ones anyhow MD :D

9. Baldrick

If you look deeper into ewido you will find the advanced features but they have never interested me.

WSFuser is correct when he states that ewido in not viewed as being as good with spyware, and that it deals with trojans and other malware much better. Having said that if you AV is good enough than SAS should be OK on its own.

Having said that I also use Spyware Terminator, which has a real time scanner and a HIPS feature AND is freeware. It is also light on resources, quick to scan and building a reputation, as a good piece of kit, very quickly if the threads that I have read are anything to go by.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.