So in the end, is it the Norton, McAfee syndrome

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It seems that there are 2 things that are certain. (1) there are more products then ever that claim to keep you protected, and, (2) that more and more products are finding they are losing the battle.

It really appears that 90 would be a safe number for a percent that equates to how safe you are. The other 10 percent will be determined by your surfing habits, your carelessness, your lack of knowledge, and last but not least, pure dumb luck.

We have spent the last few years running everything including Ma Barkers bloomers, through the grinder, to perfect, help sell, convince others, that OUR setup was the winner. Lol

New products, new malware, new videos, and in the end, we are right back where we started. At 90.

So, as the title says, we left these 2 products to venture into a new world on a quest. A quest for that elusive product that protects and defends our PCs. In the end, the reality is, we are no better then we were at the start.

90 percent and use some sense.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I didn't really get what you said but, I think the word Full System virtualization comes to mind.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I started with Norton way back and proceeded to try out and use everything under the sun, only to return to Norton now, in the end. I hope I am a little better off now than then, but who knows. It's always been more like 90% user smarts and care, and 10% apps for me anyway. :)

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I don't know where the figure of 90% comes fromo_O I'd hazard that simply by running sandboxie you'd achieve a higher percentage.

5. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Mcafee can detect malware better now because of Artemis, but their suite is still heavy on the system. Norton has probably improved the most out of the two, but they are still expensive. I don't think either are awful like the old days, but I'd still prefer to use something else.

6. Taliscicero

Home version dosen't use Artemis i think.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

It does... there is an option to enable/disable it under advanced options.

8. Taliscicero

I guess i am mistaken then :)

FIrst time i ever heard about it, it wasen't in Home version so thats probably where i got confused.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  9. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

Namor is right. Artemis is present in all of McAfee versions and frankly, it is doing a very good job.

10. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I don't care when I get infected. I always have been able to remove it, with maybe an hour or two of effort :).

If I'm feeling lazy, then I just reformat and reinstall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.