So I'm thinking of again trying Chrome or one of it's cousins.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Would appreciate your opinion as to which one I should try!

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Comodo's Comodo Dragon is good. Even lets you use their DNS server if you wish. (Can be opted out if you don't want to)

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If you don't mind one or another issue from time to time (it has been my experience so far), you could give Chromium a spin.

4. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

The latest stable version is 9.0. The latest beta version is 10.0, which is quite faster and stable, and also has a redesigned Options window. Currently I'm using version 11 Dev preview, but it has frozen or crashed a couple of times.

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Go to the individual respective homepages and try to find out the differences (additional features added or removed) and if you've got the time, try them all and decide because only then will you figure out what's wrong or lacking with a certain "cousin"...or maybe the original recipe itself. And then you can order the right one for your taste. Asking the guys around here will bring about answers for different taste-buds....some like it spicy, some like it tender while others like it crunchy. No one knows what you like...

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend going with the latest dev releases unless you're willing to face issues.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Allow me to recommend the latest release of SRWare Iron. There are also Mac & Linux versions.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

We couldn't stop you, could we? :D

8. Daveski17

Well .... 9.0.6002 is working so well (for me anyway)! :)

9. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

When one of these chromium based browsers offers the extensibility and customisability of firefox, especially being able to move the tab bar, I might try one again, (but I doubt it) but it certainly won't be the google offering.

There is so little in the way of difference between browsers now, it really comes down to whichever works for you.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Off-topic posts removed. The thread starter asked about the Chrome based browsers. So, let's stick to replying about one of those, not posturing for a fight by taking the thread off-topic.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I installed Chrome when it first came out just to watch how it would evolve. It has become quite nice and I have it customized to my liking. I think I still prefer FF as my default though, but that could change at any time. :)

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I prefer to use Chromium. I think chrome is fine, but I prefer to download the version I want and update it myself. Iron is ok too, but is normally behind by a few versions, although that might not mean much really.

I recently was looking at chromes memory usage. If you open a lot of tabs (like I often do) chromes in general appear to be very heavy. Just for giggles I downloaded the latest firefox and opera, and they too are rather on the heavy side, at least compared to how they used to be. I then did an 'I' test on Firefox,Opera and Chromium. According to my 'I', chrome was leaps and bounds faster on starting/stopping/resuming sessions. Opera was, to my 'I' a wee bit faster in rendering pages, and Firefox was simply the slowest in all respects. This was with a default install of all 3. I had thoughts of perhaps going back to Opera or Kmeleon when I was looking at how much memory chrome was using if you counted up all its threads, but after that 'I' test, I think I will be sticking with chrome.

The nice thing about using Chromium is you don't have to install it to try it, just extract the archive and execute.

Sul.

14. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi ratchet :)

Installed Chrome for the first time Just Yesterday :cool:

What Do I Think!
    My first thoughts were... Oh! - My God! It's So Bare :doubt:
    But after spending a bit of time with it... Really Like It!

Seems Really Fast!
    Can't see it taking the place of my Favourite browser - Firefox
    Don't think it looks as cool as Opera. | But... Do like Chrome more than Opera.
    Opera always seems to open some websites really fast. | But... Opera can also take forever to finish loading some other websites.
    Just like with Firefox...
    Haven't yet found a website that Chrome has struggled with.

Two Chrome Extensions That I Find A Must...
    AdBlock Plus : https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb
    &
    WOT : https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bhmmomiinigofkjcapegjjndpbikblnp
    OR....
    If you prefer to install WOT direct from: http://www.mywot.com/

Once They're Installed....
    Chrome kind of feels somewhere between IE8 - & - Firefox :thumb:

Zeena

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  15. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I just switched from opera 11.01 to chromeplus 3.52, I don't much care for the themes but other than that it is great. I haven't noticed any lag on any of the websites!
    http://www.chromeplus.org/default.html

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I really like Chrome, but it's not as customizable as Firefox which stays as my favourite.
    Use Chromium as main browser on my netbook though, which benefits more from the increased speed.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Does it have built-in, sandboxed Flash and PDF Viewer? I think the answer is, "No".

Anway, the intellectually demanding "tweaking" process has to start over again since the other one is now at version 10 (stable).

18. Daveski17

Yes, the answer is no. ;)

Iron is a bit more of a rigmarole to update, admittedly. I mean, first you have to download the new installer & then run it. That can literally take minutes! The real bollock is having to turn the UAC on & off to update the internal adblock list as the new update blanks the old list. This can all take several minutes. Of course the upshot of that adblocker is that I can watch a lot of IBA TV without any commercial breaks. Something even ABP can't do!

19. ratchet

Appreciate all the replies! I still haven't committed (another Ff lover here) but am about to give Chrome v10 a whirl.

20. ratchet

I've imported my Ff bookmarks into Chrome but have three basic questions (for now). How do you add a bookmark? How do you return to your homepage? How do you permanently set a a text size? I did see the zoom feature. Also, what is the best Chrome forum? Thank you!

21. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

1.Control+D or click star in the rightmost part of the address bar
    2.Options-Basics-Toolbar-Show Home button
    3.Options-Under the hood-Web Content-Customize fonts

Google's official Chrome forum is good http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome

22. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Didn't want to start a new thread so thought I would ask this here, but I'm trying out the Comodo Dragon browser and was wondering what people thought of it, and if there were tweaks that should be done to it?

So far, for me, it has seemed pretty fast. But, i'm at a loss on security so wanted to see what others had to say about it's security measures or lack thereof.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Other than problems of not being really updated, you'll always have these nagging, niggling issues when you use clones. Better to stay with Chrome which is under constant scrutiny.

The support will also be better (IMO).

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Permanently setting a text size could pose problems in pages where fixed space is allowed for text (of a smaller font than you set).

For this reason, zoom is preferable. Except that Chrome's zoom increments are a bit ridiculous.

I'd suggest you try the zoomWheel extension which allows domain-wise settings and increments of even 1%:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kdfgigbjonaniokmpfflpflkhahhbaej
    You do need to take a little time to figure out how to get the best out of it.

25. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Whichever you choose I think you will like "Chrome" in general, it takes some getting use to but it's great. I uninstalled Chrome just this past week and installed Firefox instead (the release candidate for 4.0) to be honest I really liked it, but the bookmarking system drove me back to Chrome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.