So I'm searching 19" Wide Screen LCDs at newegg and discover most don't work with

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ratchet, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Vista! What's up with that? My XP is six years old and works great but I'm sure it will need replaced someday and I was thinking of perhaps getting a wide screen now. If they aren't compatible with Vista, they sure the heck aren't going to be with 7! So why is that?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Ummm, exactly what are you talking about? I must be missing something....

Blue

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Widescreen monitors work with Vista.

4. ratchet

So I'm doing an advanced search and the last category is Windows Vista as you drill down. There are two choices: "Certified for Windows Vista" or "Works with...". I was searching 19" Black with speakers and a few other specks and ended up with 20+ possibilities. Then I noticed the Vista option and it narrowed it down to only a couple of "certified" and "works". I know it sounds crazy, that is why I've come to the Wilders site for an explanation because I doubt it is what it seems!

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Time to backup.

If you're using this as a simple monitor, verify that your video card supports the native resolution of the monitor, has the proper hardware connection, and you're basically done.

If you need a monitor that supports HDCP to play protected blu-ray media at full resolution, well...., maybe. It's not a detail I've followed, but this is a lot different than overall "Vista compatibility".

Blue

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It isn't what it seems, just because they don't label the units' compatibility with an OS (Btw, I'd be astonished to find ANY new monitor that doesn't have a driver for Vista), doesn't mean it won't. New-Egg gets its specs from the vendors themselves, so what the vendor leaves out, New-Egg likely won't list. If only two out of all those 19" widescreens worked with Vista, well, it would be a bit silly to list them, now wouldn't it? I have very serious doubts that they even have monitors for sale that were built pre-Vista now.

In other words, relax. If still in doubt, there is such a thing as the manufacturers website you know.

Edit: Blue is right, there really is no need for Vista compatibility if you're just needing a screen to see things on.

7. ratchet

Thanks!

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Don't fall prey to the sales hype techniques of saying "Vista Compatible" or "Windows 7 Compatible"...as long as you don't purchase some 15 year old 1st generation LCD monitor you should be fine. Pretty much any new LCD monitor that you purchase now or have purchased in the last 5+ years or more will be fine.

9. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

To be fully compatible with Vista, a monitor must have a decryption unit to decode video streams of protected content - which has yet to hit the market.

The decryption unit decodes the encryped video. Why encryped? So people can't easily pirate videos by recording the stream.

So if you don't have a decryption unit, you won't be watching the protected content in its full glory - you'll see an artificially distroted and lo-quality version.

Don't worry, any monitor will do. Don't forget your video card needs to support protected content encryption as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.