so im a P.I.T.A.!! 1 MORE q?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by phatkid, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatkid

phatkid Registered Member

K, I FOUND the ATi 9800 pro 128 and the 256mb cards....
    i wanted to get a 256, but i see some are still only 128mb data mem (the important stat ?)..now
    the ATI 9800 pro 128 is 256mb data mem....so what is the difference.....the 128 seems to perform verywell..and all the other numbers are the same

so, how important is the installed memory part of the equationo_O

thanks guys

i found one up here in canada (the 12:cool: for 303 bucks, yet to find the 256 pro

cory

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

cory,

We're all p.i.t.a.'s from time-to-time, no problem with that, kind of makes you a kindred spirit.

The added memory on the card does help in principle. I don't follow the discussions, but a quick read of what I saw, and some were mid-late 2004 timeframe, was that most games simply don't take real advantage of the 128 vs. 256 MB RAM difference yet. If you're cash constrained, go with a 128 MB card, but max out the VDU processor performance choice.

IF you've identified an ATI 9800 128 MB RAM card you're comfortable with, go for it.

Blue

3. phatkid

cool

like i said the important number of 256mb data memory is important, and the 128mb has it....

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

take a look hear at the benchmarks page. Basically what BlueZannetti said.

ATi 9800 benchmark

5. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

PhatKid,

I second what Blue said. I read an article on this in Tomshardware and they said the same thing. If you do not read Tom's, then you should daily. I spend at least an hour a day on Tom's site.

Close

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi phatkid,

I have a 9800 Pro/128. I ran across a good guide a while ago: Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide Rev. 6.0!. Quoting the author:

"The 256MB variant of the Radeon 9800 Pro is virtually identical to the 128MB model. The only difference is the 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro uses DDR II memory which has a higher latency compared to the old DDR memory. Therefore, a slight memory clock speed bump was implemented to eliminate any loss of performance due to the increased DDR II latency..."

Nick

7. phatkid

thanks alot NAMOR that put my mind at ease.......i have been to toms site b4
    thats awesome to know....i love u guys

thanks a bunch

now hopefully my research will save me 1 or 200 bucks on the motherboard and P4....

cory

8. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Just don't get too close. ;)

Good luck on your purchase.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Het phatkid,

G'day.

a 128MB Radeon 9800 series is good enough. There could be a slight performance difference, but this will only happen when the texture load from the game requires more than 128MB which is rare. Even if that does happen, AGP8X or better will save you.

128MB cards are absolutely great. Doing a 128MB here and never had any problems except with 3DMark..but it'd run crap slow anyway if you put it at the settings I tried.

The Radeon 9800 is a good choice. Happy gaming!

I frequent these sites:

http://www.firingsquad.com
    http://www.hardocp.com
    http://www.xbitlabs.com
    http://www.digit-life.com

Best Regards,
    Firecat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.