so i went from avira to kis7... thoughts

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

kis 7 was soooo much slower than avira suite is.. not nearly as bad as some are but web pages took much longer to come up .. with avira its instant i mean you click its up .. we are on a fios 20mb down 5mb up line so pages are instant.. with kis7 things didnt just pop up they kind started at the top of the page and worked thier way down loading that way it was not just the whole page that popped up it was like it used to be when i was on a 4mb line on comcast.. any thoughts??

also everyone reported mem usage of under 20mb or so i saw wayy more that that i saw 2 services for kis7 and one was at 30+ even at idle and the other was around 5mb or just under at idle?? why?? anyone know?? i really overall liked the options but it seems that any option i picked sent it from either high system performance or medium to low. basically anything i set set it to low.. ??

thanks for any thoughts if you have any for me. lol i bought 3 boxed versions since they were free after rebate and id like to use them but not if they will slow browsing down like that. thanks again

2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

RE: Slow Browsing... Are you using Firefox? Do you have any extensions installed which speed up browsing such as Faterfox or have you enabled pipelining in firefox?
    Set Web-AV to Recommended

RE: memory usage... Have you performed a full PC scan yet?
    What was your previous AV? Do you have defrag software running or any other AS software?
    In File-AV settings, also select "scan new and changed files only". (You may also wish to consider selecting "scan files and folders by content")

3. zfactor

i have no extensions installed in firefox yet this is a fresh install withi nothing other than vista, jv16, perfect disk (is not set to real time defrAG ONLY ON DEMAND), i have not enabled pipelining in firefox..

no full system scan yet i didnt even get that far i took it off before that.

no previous av at all. fresh vista install..

i had it set to scan all files. i did disable the istreams and ichecker in all the catagories but i now am almost sure those are for on demand scanning only so i guess it does make a difference for everday running of kis or does it? id prefer not to use i streams and i checker if poss but i dont think you can get around it in real timer use.... correct?

i really like its interface and i know on my system i want max protection due to me testing out a lot of things and my wife does those survey at home things to make money on the side so i def need things set to catch all that stuff.. with avira i could set to max and it was like no av installed at all.. almost as good with ess.

id go back to avira in a sec but i just cant afford it.. its just to expensive for me they dont have a 2 pc option so i either have to spend more for 2 single lic or but the 3 pack.

ess gave me constant headaches with random bluescreans after i uninstalled it never had another one. also avira found nearly 8 things that it seems nod simply overlooked and yes i uploaded them to eset and to jotti..

id like to keep kis if i can solve this problem. price is def right at 0$ and it offers great detection from all the known tests. thanks in advance again

4. fce

fce Registered Member

see post 35....mine is almost 7MB (idle)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=191053&page=2

with Firefox/Yahoo Msgr/Outlook (my ordinary program open)...it's almost 9MB

PS:
    KIS Setting....Firewall: Training Mode / Scan: Max / Others: Default...

Attached Files:

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

fce i know its not your problem, but you could certainly speed up Your machine by removing all that stuff in your taskbar that is running. :rolleyes:

6. fce

fce Registered Member

i'm more use to it and with 3GB Ram....i don't have problem with speed.

btw, zfactor what's your PC specs?

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Something isn't right. I have 4 MB Comcast right now and run KIS 7, and my pages load instantly. I have all my protection set to High with a full blown PDM and HTTP scanning enabled. I previously used Nod32 & Comodo 2.4 and I notice no slowdown whatsoever from that setup to this one.

8. zfactor

this is a notebook with a dual core cpu, 2gb ram, vista premium....

9. zfactor

am i correct there is no way to eliminate real time ichecker and i streams?? only on demand

10. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Only an unofficial way of doing it (not via GUI), which I don't recommend because I don't know the repercussions of it because I haven't tried it... amongst potential problems which I'm not aware of, it'll most likely also result in slower computer and maybe Kaspersky taking more resources.

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt touch anything, inc messing with registry files.

if the software gives you problems, simply dont use it, if you see no problems, do not worry and use it happily.

12. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

+1 :rolleyes:

13. zfactor

i would assume the effect im seeing is due to the object ids being added. i re-installed and cleaned out the object ids then restarted and it was SLOWWWW with web scanning, i went to all my common sites and did that a few times then i rebooted and got online again.. now its fast not as with avira but its def BETTER.. is this the effect of the object ids being added to the temp internet cached files the first time around?? i reinstalled and set things up a little different this time and it def runs much faster. imo there is no comparison to avira though.. i just sooo wish there was a way to permently eliminate the object ids.. in real time and in on demand. i waited forever when deleting them i was suprised at how many files were tagged already and i only used it a short time. scan speeds are WAY slower i mean A LOT slower than avira.. at first the on demand scan said it would finish dec24th lol.. i was like wtf?? but it gradualy dropped down to about 4-5 hours which is still crazy for a on demand scan of a fresh vista system with only 2 other programs on it.. avira would have done this in maybe 45min.. or less.. the mem usage is still at 19k for one service and about 6-7 for the other though so everyone seeing half that im not sure how..o_O maybe since this is vista? not sure.

overall its a nice program. i would have no regrets at all with it if it didnt use the object id's.. i am so hoping they done kill me in the long run or cause any serious problems like they did for some people.

i tried the bitdefender suite 2008 before this on a different machine and i can for sure say (cant state about detection since i used it for only a few days) kaspersky is a MUCH MORE STABLE program than bd2008. i had 3 bsod's more than a dozen reboots after updates, the firewall lost my rules once, and the tray icon disappeared on me twice. the program was still running but the icon was gone and i had to reboot to get it back, i could not even kill the explorer.exe and re-start it to get the icon back.

i def like that i can turn off kis when i want to unlike ess. at this point i am still a huge nod fan but i have to admit this suite is far better than ess after my trialing of the current ess system. this could change as ess grows into a better total package though. i think they need some time to fine tune ess and work out all the bugs.. imo it should not have been rc yet.. maybe a few more months.

anyway... im going to leave kis for a bit on here, and continue to try others on my desktop. i ordered a free after rebate of nis2008 and mcafee free after rebate also today just to have i guess.. ill prob try the nortons but ive never liked mcafee but ill have it if i want to play with it.. you cant beat free right??

any other recc besides bd2008, ess, avira suite, nis2008, f-secure and kis i should try lol i know ive tried most of them all.. avira is still my favorite i have to say.. but not for thier asking prices..

14. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I would never use Kaspersky until they rid themselves of object id's. Had problems with it and had to reformat to get rid of it's "legacy." BitDefender 2008 is very buggy (we just tested it) and spam control and integration with Outlook Express is problematic with ESS. I use the Avira Security Suite and it could not be lighter. No fp's on dozens of machines with many terabytes of data. Never had any malware with any AV for that matter-and we are very high risk users.

There is much paranoia in this forum because paranoia (fear) sells and many of the people that participate here have a vested interest.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira is the least obtrusive of all the suites, I have never been a fan of suites but if there would be any suite I would have to use, it would be Avira.

16. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

NIS2008 is just as non-obtrusive as Avira (or Kaspersky) for the matter. The past experiences of users are no longer counting for the newer versions. Why don't people want to see that?

17. Bunkhouse Buck

Cannot agree. I own and have used NIS 2008, and it takes control of your computer with hundreds of entries in the registry, and even after using the Norton Removal Tool, it leaves behind many files and folders that you have to delete. It makes decisions for you without your knowledge, which can be disastrous for some users if they do not know how to restore from quarantine properly.

18. Bunkhouse Buck

The firewall does not stealth all ports with setting on high (ports 0 and 1 are closed but not stealthed). The spam filter works better than Cloudmark on my machine, even though my ISP (Cox) filters spam as much still gets through. The protection is unsurpassed (highest detection rate) and the scanner speed is very fast. That is why I use it, although improvement is needed and Avira is cognizant of these issues. Version 8 is supposed to fix the firewall problem.

19. zfactor

only one entry to add to the firewall thoug with avira for a stealth rating..

20. Bunkhouse Buck

Do you mean add a rule to stealth all ports? I was the one that started the topic at Avira forum, and there is a rule to do that, but the default setting does not do that, and there is no information for users except on this topic and only at the Avira forum.

21. zfactor

yes i mean to add a rule. it def does work ive had it that way the whole time i used it. i know there is no info i basically made the same rule they did and then i saw it on their forum.. same thing as they did is what i did with it.. it does stealth everything here for me..

22. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Registered Member

When I got my new (first) laptop recently it had a trial of Norton 2007. I used it for a few days and wondered if the darned thing was even running. Everybody I know has always warned that NIS will subvert your computer and slow it to a crawl. Nothing like that ever came about on the laptop so I trialled NIS 2008 on my desktop machine (a much constrained 512MB/Vista configuration) and found the same thing. Kaspersky, BitDefender, OneCare 2.0 all were more noticable running on that system than Norton.

So in the end I bought a 3-machine NIS 2008 license and they're bopping along quite nicely on both computers with no apparent ill effects. Of course if I believe what I read here, my desktop machine is doomed to eternal troubles from having briefly hosted a copy of Kaspersky. So what do I know?

23. Bunkhouse Buck

Brent,

If everything works ok on your machine-stick with it. While we all have opinions- some based on fact and others based on emotion, you should always keep it simple and do what works for you. NIS 2008 is fine for many and if it works for you, keep it.

Best,

BB

24. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

There may be 100 entries in the registry, but NIS2008 uses very little resources of the system. And that is what counts for me. Plus: you can always go into NIOS to see what the firewall does and chage it if you don't like it.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

in answer to your question zfactor, I would stick with Avira.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.