So I install MS SteadyState and as near as I can tell I never enabled it but...

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Shutdowns and reboots took several minutes so I uninstalled it. It had returned startup and shutdown to the classic view from the xp view (I think, could be visa/versa) and it was still doing that after the uninstall but I had created a restore point before I started so everything is back to normal. It kind of bums me out because I was going to occasionally use it but not at the cost of the slow boots, even though that is only a couple times/week. Anyone else experience this?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi ratchet, it is a known problem. I figured they would have fixed it by now. I haven't checked their forum in a while. I forgot to mention it when I suggested SteadyState. I don't believe the older version had the problem. It was called Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit.

I've read a few posts with suggestions for a fix from MS and then some other fixes from forum users that seemed risky. Again, I'm sorry that I didn't warn you. I was hoping it was a rare problem :( .

innerpeace

3. ratchet

No problem, it was no big deal, although I was getting really nervous looking at nothing but the blue screen for awhile (lol). I thought maybe it would boot normally after the first boot so I did another restart and it did it again. Like I mentioned in my original post, I'm sure I never even went into a virtual mode. I was going to install the free anti-malwares from Authentium that my ISP provides and check them out. I tried installing them inside Sandboxie, however, toward the end of the setup, Sandboxie said it couldn't load a file. Then every time I tried to Delete the Sb Contents the textbox about the file would pop up (at that point of the install there wasn't a cancel tab). I finally was able to delete the files in the sandbox.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Somebody posted here in the past a trick that worked well on my system. It was to dsiable autostart of one of its serevice( provided u are only using its instant recovery feature and not the shared users access feature).
    I used it for many weeks as an instant recovery feature and it worked well.
    Only problem was that it will protect only C and need a big space.

A very nice feature is that u can kepp changes after a reboot and discard them whenever needed( so it,s good to test software that need a reboot) but if u get a power reset or BSOD u will loose the changes in anyway.

5. ratchet

Just sounds like the ideal thing for running an occasional test. Really don't need most of its features. I'll keep an eye on their forum, it wasn't available last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.