So I heard you want to try Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My latest Netrunner Magazine article: If you could sum the journey to becoming the new and happy Linux user and then an old and still happy Linux user, how would you do it? Can you compress the message into a single word? Will it work? I am going to attempt just that. What we did, and what the next generation should do. Have fun.

http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=3266

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Great read. You know I am that new Linux user!! I am putting in a few hours a day and making a ton of mistakes (pure fun for me). I have been told to take it SLOW but I don't really roll that way. My bad.

Instead of VM's I am using a small dedicated external USB 3 drive and keeping the system down to around 50 GB (no sense in encrypting 1 TB over and over). I can create and deploy a new system in around 30 minutes. Basic use for linux doesn't appear too difficult based upon all the work the more popular distro's have done to make it almost idiot proof for newbies.

However; vpn tunneling and locking down leaks, ufw, and those items are still in front of me. I told myself I would take a few weeks and just assume a normal homeowner's vantage point for awhile. Cruising the net, use M$ office suite, and learn to employ thorough and reliable backup protocol. Maintaining system updates and such.

Then I will go to the next level and start locking down my system and start using Linux for private stuff. I am about at the top of the game in the windows arena. Many years of network stuff, encryption, tunnels, etc..... Much of that will really help me and already has with learning Linux.

I know I am just rambling on here. That is what Linux newbies do when they still have the brand new excitement flowing through their veins!!!!

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Joined the linux few weeks ago. I pretty much used an old laptop and jumped right in first getting linux to recognize my hardware and then everything else. Now my old laptop has windows 7 on it while I use linux on my main work laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.