So I have a question for long time users of RollBack, E-F or AR!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So I was reading through the knowledge base help for EAZ-FIX and one of the issues was about not being able to boot because the image was made while E-F was installed and thus the MBR needed repaired. So my questions: Have you ever restored from an image (Acronis, Paragon, Ghost, etc.)? If so, was one of the snapshot "clones" installed when you made the image? Have you ever booted from the boot CD you made with your image program? When you made the boot CD, was the clone installed? What were your over all experiences relative to these questions? Let me state this, after reading about the "clones" for several years on this forum I took the plunge with a free license for AR in December. My only regret is that I didn't grab the free license for E-F offered on Give Away of the Day prior to that or that I had never purchased the software, for it has already bailed me out a number of times, including a total disaster upgrading to IE8. My point, is I can't see my self ever being without this type of application but I would like to know how to deal with some other issue that AR could not recover from using my Paragon or Ghost. Thank You!

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have not had to do this but there has been a lot written about how to deal with this situation on the forum in the past. A search should provide a lot of info. From what I recall you would simply need to fix the MBR using a program such as http://mbrwizard.com/ or using a Windows install disk.

I hope this helps.

3. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I use EF and honestly wouldn't want to be without it. I've only used the EF Drive Image program that comes with EF. It's the only backup/restore app that will work for me. I've tried Paragon, Drive Image XML and Macrium and all three presented me with problems. Either the boot cd wouldn't work or the backup image when verified contained errors. Easy Fix/Image/Restore has worked perfect for me. I've restored an image about seven times with it and out of the seven have only used the Fix MBR option once. I've found that using EF's Image/Restore app, the fix MBR option is not needed since it appears to automatically disable EF when an image restore is made. After restore is made and bootup is complete, I then uninstall EF and re-install it. I think if I used a different app for imaging that could backup in a way that would allow me to retain EF's snapshots, then I would need to use the fix MBR although I'm not for certain on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.