so for a better word, is Norton really this "bland"?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I kind of got sucked into purchasing Norton AntiVirus 2011 because it is so inexpensive on ebay (about a buck/month) and tests so well. First paid AV I've used in several years after giving up NOD32. It seems to have "0" impact on performance and am quite satisfied with it in that regard so far. What I don't like about it, unless I don't have it set up correctly, is I don't believe it alerts during or after definition updates. I've never had an A-V that didn't. I asked on their forum how to find out what definition it's at and the only response was checking in app data files. Can that be right? I'll check the tutorial tomorrow to learn more.

2. shanep

shanep AV Expert

The definition version should be right on the main screen at least in Norton Internet Security. Click the "X minutes ago" drop-down.

Attached Files:

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for the reply! I did notice that. Still would have preferred a, "Your Norton ...successfully updated!", type of an alert without having to open the GUI.

4. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Norton updates several times per hour. You would be getting so many pop ups that I would think one would disable that feature. Just a thought.

5. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

you are the rarest of rare case who want to get update info ...

norton updates 200 times a a day :D ... so imagine how stupid it would be if it displays info abt each update

hope u understood the point

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not really. They could use the numbering used by avast!.

110325-1

11 is for year, 03 is for month, 25 is for the day and 1 after the dash is the sequential number of updates that day. So this number would go up to ~200 in Norton's case. Not all that impossible and perfectly logical.

7. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

ehh... your talking abt a different point altogether ... pls read whole thread from beginning

8. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

I really like Norton Silient Updates.

9. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  10. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Thanks for the info! Very cool.

11. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

OT Trivia
    Maybe I like avast! update numbering because it's like the system for allowing automatic sorting of date-named files I started using in about 1985 when I got my first Wang PC. E.g. '110328_0.doc' which gave you up to 36 revisions if you used letters after '9' for the revision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.