So far so firefox !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Spanner intheWorks, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good one.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

HOSTS yes, FF sends request to Windows, Windows looks in the Hosts file, bad website found, request goes no further, as in no connection is made to the internet or requested site at all.

IE Spyad is good for IE to stop bad sites (Hosts does the same thing as far as I know).

SpywareBlaster places in ActiveX keys.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

4. solarpowered candle

I really do like the Moox firefox build designed for maximum security, stability, and speed. http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/
    The Moox Thunderbird is also excellent.

5. DanL

DanL Registered Member

Interesting link on the Moox. Are you using one now?
    What makes the Moox version more secure?

Dan

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

What extra security does Moox over the official builds?

7. solarpowered candle

thought i might ask Moox to pop in if he has a mo and explain more to us .....if he doesnt mind and has some time

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I have used this workaround from the "other" FF spoofing thread

Originally Posted by Serlio
    Another temporal workaround:

1. Install the extension Greasemonkey http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

2. Don't forget to restart Firefox to complete the extension installation.

3. Right click this link (DON'T FOLLOW THE LINK) http://www.quitometro.org/disableidn.user.js IDN patch script and click "Install User Script..."

4. A window will appear. Press OK.

Finished. It will raise an alert when the URL contains IDN characters.

This works well for me so far. At least on the secunia spoof test.
    Any body know any other spoof test examples for testing?

9. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I think it may be due to the fact that 100,000 (ok + or - a few) visitors do not use the search function

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Heh.
    Could be.
    For me, one of The great things about all of this is how fast and simple it seems to be to get "fixes' even if only temporary. And how a quick paste job/download that even dweebs like me can mostly manage will fix what may have been a huge problem. The info is circulated swiftly and with great support.
    I love the attitude that it's almost a matter of pride that "we" can do this for our FF and at the same time learn heaps and where to go for the real thing: like Moox site that i had also been checking out.

FF has what, three or four vulnerabilities (we all suspected these would come in some form ) and we have almost instantaneous solutions for most? AND a real belief that the next release will be better.

Great stuff :)
    MrP; R U A Believer yt, ready to make the move yet?

11. moox

moox Registered Member

This MOOX replyig back as requested. In regards to my builds, i am not doing anything all that amazing to the source. For security, I am simply enabling all security fucntions that are available in the Mozilla source. For speed, I am using a combination of compiler and linker switches with numerous patches that takes things a setp further. In regards to stability, I am simply paring the builds down and removing any 'default' settings that I consider to be troublesome. I am also then enabling some features that are disabled by default to bring better functionality to the browser, i.e. native SVG supprt, native MNG support (still a work in progress), etc...

Please feel free to post specific questions about my builds and I wll try and answer as I have free time...

12. solarpowered candle

welcome Moox and thanks for dropping in. regarding the instalation of firefox Moox is it necesary , for those who may wish to load up the moox build to first uninstall the standard firefox?

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

something i really like in FF is the "Add Engines" option. Webopedia is very good for any search computer related and A9 is another search engine worth trying. as well as those there are 100s more :)

Attached Files:

14. twig

twig Guest

the new firefox is quite fast . even without tweeks.

15. DanL

DanL Registered Member

Spanner, I did a total uninstall before installing 1.01 and all is well. I did have
    to re-download and install the extensions, but all my bookmarks were still there.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.