Snort combined with Windows Firewall ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Habakuck, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Hi,

I am thinking about my next security setup and would like to use the Win7 Firewall, managed by http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php .

To enhance the network security of my Laptop I would like to combine the both with snort.

Does that makes sense?

Has Snort some kind of user interface? Watching some videos, trying to understand what snort delivers I only found cmd commanding which is a little bit confusing for me.

Looking forward to some good input from you guys,
    Habakuck

2. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Yup, makes sense, try this link, xttp://www.snort.org/assets/151/Installing_Snort_2.8.6.1_on_Windows_7.pdf

Just replace "x" with "h". Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. I'm actually not sure it makes sense. I don't believe network attacks against PCs are very common, and anyway you can close all your ports with Windows Firewall; Snort IIRC is more for servers, where you have to keep some ports open, and want to prevent attacks against them. Perhaps it could provide protection from worms like Conficker or Stuxnet, but I'm not sure it's worth the performance hit in practice.

Do take what I say with a grain of salt though; I'm not a network security expert.

4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

As a home user, I think you can live without snort without worries. :)

5. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

6. virtualsecurity

virtualsecurity Registered Member

use colasoft capsa network analyzer

you have a lot of data to investigate any possible intruders , firewall is circumvent , you control the connections to ports and protocols used , packet conversation and ip & mac source & destination .

7. ShockWaves

ShockWaves Registered Member

Only the most 1337 h4x0rz use Snort.

8. virtualsecurity

|735|73c7 )

9. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi
    The goal of an IDS is to detect or/and prevent an intrusion by a malware/worm or intruder/hacker from internet to the local host.
    A protocol analyzer like Capsa, Wireshark or Network Miner is to detect signs of host compromissions...
    Reliable security means stopping the threats at the door...once the puma in the farm, it is often too late...
    Once hardening the system, most threats will occur via HTTP...and in this case, trust your antivirus, hips, sniffer or experience.

Rgds

10. virtualsecurity

Hi kareldjag
    I started a week ago to get interested in computer security, i like ,
    so I have no experience , I go to instinct , IPS work to prevent intrusions , and neural networks , through the analysis of databases that describe the attacks as they occur ; or throwing the exploits against themselves in a separate system to see how they work and prevent attacks , but there is no remedy to close the port of entry. the only way is to detect and intervene in individual cases and 'watching real-time packets and logs and monitoring applications and system files. but in a very large network is very difficult and costly.

but all these software and hardware analysis and prevention are fantastic .

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.