Snoopstick removal

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by joedr, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joedr

joedr Registered Member

I have recently discovered Snoopstick, a USB based activity monitoring program, installed on my home computer. Is anyone familiar with a tool that will detect and remove it?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Is this "your" personal PC or a shared family PC?

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

www.snoopstick.com

How did you manage to find out it was installed on your computer? It is a monitoring tool according to the website. I'm quite interested to know more about this.

4. TwoKidsMom

TwoKidsMom Registered Member

I just bought my SnoopStick from http://www.MyKidsInternetSafety.com

So far it has been invisible to my kids using that computer.
    It looks like it is running in a pretty good Stealth mode.
    I will be very interested what kind of messages or signs did you see to find SnoopStick on your machine?

Thanks,

TwoKidsMom

5. mgdumas

mgdumas Registered Member

I just got mine and I'm having trouble connecting to the remote computer. Are you having trouble with that?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I smell spam here.

7. ThunderZ

At first I thought it was a kid trying to find a way around Mom & Dads` security set-up. But now that I see 3 first time posters I do believe you are correct.

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Thats exactly what crossed my mind at first TZ.
    You can send your kids messages and remote control their computer so thats how you could know.
    Could be spam, I see TKM has a blog about Snoopstick and another post somewhere else.
    If I put this on my kids machine they would never talk to me again:D I wanna get one to see if I can beat it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  9. ThunderZ

Will be interesting to see if any return and post.
    Let us know if you do beat it, but perhaps by PM as opposed to posting in the Forum. I am sure if you do beat it the Authors would be very interested in knowing how you went about it.

10. Meriadoc

They can be quite expensive so I'll try and review it, although SS is one of the cheapest I've seen and your allowed to make an additional copy with another usb. Suppose the problem is that these sort of things can be used on unsuspecting adults and employees although the latter would be okay I suppose if it was revealed to them.
    So I'm thinking you can forcefully removed Snoopstick. Would like to see if it shows up in some tools or look at it from a different way than Windows.

11. TwoKidsMom

TwoKidsMom Registered Member

I had some questions about SnoopStick installation and compatibility with my firewall and anti-virus program. Technical support was extremely helpful. If you have problems, I recommend to give them a call.

TwoKidsMom

12. ThunderZ

Thank you for the info. I am a "little" past the age :oops: of having kids at home but will pass it on to the Daughter and Son for possible future use with the Grandkids. :D

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

TKM - So, no element of SnoopStick shows on the installed computer either in:

Start/Programs

Add/Remove Programs

or when you do a C/A/D on the subject computer?

The "stealth" aspects of it are gone as soon as you send someone a message or cut their Internet connection or re-start their computer remotely (at least as far as them not knowing something is up).

I have to kind of question - do you trust the people who are making this program? Are you sure of what's being installed, and what it actually does (with or without your permission or input)? After all, it's already stating that it automatically calls home for (and automatically does ) updates.

Apparently, you had to change settings in or add rules to both your firewall and A/V program to get it to work correctly - are you totally comfortable with that?

What does it "install" on the computers you remotely access from? Do you even know? On the computer(s) that you're remotely accessing from, are you doing so within the consent of the computer owners' involved? In accordance with their written policies involving outside software installations? (although in your case I'm sure its' just your other home computer - I hope).

Are you aware that malicious USB keys are a pretty big-time threat out in the real world?

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1112458,00.html
    http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/expert/KnowledgebaseAnswer/0,289625,sid14_gci1234176,00.html

You may wish to re-think what you're allowing here - especially if hackers get involved with subverting SnoopStick (which would be especially bad on a shared home computer). Pete

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  14. joedr

joedr Registered Member

The computer is a shared home computer. I have found trace elements of Snoopstick in the registry from the install process, but I need a tool that can absolutely find and kill it.
    There are several adults in the house using the machine and I don't want to stir up a stink amongst them. I just want to quietly remove it.:)

15. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

joedr - If you're a minor dependent of the "adults" who own the computer, you have absolutely no right to either disable or un-install whatever programs they've seen fit to put on there to monitor other users'.

Is that the situation? Pete

16. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I installed one per this link, http://start.snoopstick.com/ for testing and then sent it back for a refund.I will say that it can be defeated two ways as it sets up three exe. files. You can disable it temp then restart it when needed or take it out period finding and deleating the three exe.programs.You just need to know which three and I am not posting that info here.Mom and dad might get mad at the kids,lol.

17. Meriadoc

SnoopStick says...
    'can only be removed or bypassed if...' an invitation :) , dont get me wrong, I'd like to see how true and how they achieve what they are claiming. So pugmug Snoopstick files can be seen in..? windows? and is simple to remove you say.
    More on Snoopstick...

18. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Solid Oak Software owns Snoopstick as well as other products along the same lines.Snoopstick must phone home for updates and to store the info found by it from the computer it's installed on.The info is kept on Solid Oaks servers and that is how it works remote.It was easy to find the exe. programs using different methods and defeat them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.