SNOOPFREE!!.......

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by subzerox, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subzerox

subzerox Registered Member

Hi guys, i have a comment on this program, i noticed this program by a post that has been made by someone on this forum and i find this program suspicious for the following reasons, and when i say suspicious i mean that it might not be a anti but a active keylogger or some other sort of spyware.

I have taken a look at this website and already found it strange that the program was announced with "My company....etc" most companies do not formulate their content like this, this in conjunction with that their is no real company information....is it a Ltd or LCC, INC business form?, non what so ever is indicated on the website.

On the links section i noticed a link to FINOR "ofshore professionals", this "company" is to say the least shady and is not recognized by the official authorities from where this company is operating.

I was planning to download the program but when i noticed this it woke me up because this could be a set up to infect people with this "spyware"

Maybe i am a little bit paranoid and other people can say that there is nothing wrong with this software but i find it strange and very odd that a "company" does not show their company information, especially when a small and unknown company is displaying their product you should expect that as much info as possible would be displayed to gain the trust of people.

Why trust? if it is free you might ask....well ask yourself this a couple times more and you will get the picture...spreading out spyware to gain profit.....and before this software was not free because when googling for this i have come accros a site where this program was displayed for $20.00.

Am i paranoid about this and is there nothing to worry about? if i am i still would recommend that the link to FINOR would be removed and full details of the "company"

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

If it is malicious, the following programs are not detecting it as so:

TrojanHunter 4.2
    TDS-3
    SpyCop
    Spy Sweeper V4
    Giant AS
    Adaware SE Plus
    Pest Patrol 2005
    Norton AV 2005
    Blacklite RootkitEliminator
    RootkitRevealer
    CWShredder

It's not opening any ports for sending out info.

3. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

These remarks are not directed at snoopfree but in general.

I think if i was trying to infect some of the more security conscious/yet cash poor people, a deal like snoopfree would be a very good idea.

Because of it's very nature, you would be less suspicious if it needed various rights for hooks, if it installed as a service etc...

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi subzerox,

Your point is well taken. It is difficult to know which companies to entrust with the security of a computer.

Rich

5. I'm Stephen Nichols... the author of SnoopFree. I'm a professional game developer by trade -- currently working for Ubisoft. I made privacy shield for myself to begin with, then I sold it as shareware for a year or so. Then I decided that it would be a good idea to give it away for free. :)

The reason why the company is not LLC or INC is because it's just me! Little old me. "SnoopFree Software" is an alias for Stephen Nichols.

I totally understand your reluctance about the program. But I can assure you that it's not spy software itself.

steve

6. Also, I removed the Finor link. :) And, just so you know, there has been "detailed" information about the company for as long as the website has been up. It's under the "About Us" link at the top of the page.

steve

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Thanx Stephen for your contribution to the security community by making it free!

keep up the good work

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Yes, thanks Stephen for your efforts to help squelch online criminals' crap. I've been testing Snoopfree for a couple of days and it is behaving quite nicely on my XP-SP2 system.

9. dontbugme

dontbugme Guest

Another BIG THANKS to Stephen Nichols for a great piece of software! Snoofree is a good addition to anyone's security line up.

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Stephen,

Yes thanks!

Quick question. I am running ProcessGuard. If you have an understanding of ProcessGuard, I would appreciate it if you would comment on whether you believe your product is providing any additional protection. It seems like both products, in regards to keyloggers, are doing approximately the same thing (ProcessGuard doing more in other areas). If you have any comments, I would appreciate it.

Also, I remember I while ago when I was running SnoopFree (pre-ProcessGuard installation), rkdetector reported that Snoopfree was installed as a hidden service (if I remember correctly), but even after I uninstalled Snoopfree, it was still being reported as an installed hidden service. Does this sound right? I cannot remember exactly what rkdetector was reporting. Sorry if I mis-describe the situation but any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Rich

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Rich - SnoopFree isn't (and hasn't been) reported "as a hidden service" by rkdetector - it's reported as a "wrong service path" (see screenshot). HTH Pete

Attached Files:

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Pete for refreshing my memory.

In regards to the "wrong service path", can you tell me why that message was still issued by rkdetector after snoopfree was uninstalled? Thanks for any info.

Rich

13. subzerox

subzerox Registered Member

Hello Stephen Nichols very nice of you to join in, i hope you don't have any grudges for me implying such a thing about snoopfree but i just had a feeling about this and you always hope otherwise, especially when a program is free :D .

Turned out nothing to worry about..

Also a good thing for removing the finor link.

In my oppinion it would be better for the public eye to not profile yourself as a company because
    ... you said it yourself.

Please do not understand me wrong Stephen and understand the tone of my comment, i am not trying to put you down or something like that but when some sort of website either in computer security or other sector introduce themself as a company then you should have a company business form set up.

If not then this could be assumed as a attempt to portrait the website and it's owners in such a manor that actually isn't so and this will automaticly result i a loss of trust for the observant visitor.

I'm glad that everything is alright and that we have nothing to worry about regarding snoopfree...and if it was malicious then the people on this forum would have discovered this i might hope ;) .
    So additionally, i would like to apalogise to you Stephen Nichols and other people on this forum for maybe disturbing your piece of mind regarding snoopfree.

:cool:

14. CN232

CN232 Guest

uninstallation is not clean. I'm seen similar results with some other services.

15. CN232

CN232 Guest

No need to worry.

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks CN232.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.