SnoopFree

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by richrf, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tested an anti-keylogger called snoopfree? I haven't been able to come up with much information on the product using google.

Rich

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

in general terms, when I clean hijackthis logs and a executable isn't founded in google then I know what to do...

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Infiinty,

It looks like a legitimate program:

www.snoopfree.com

Apparently it monitors programs that are asking for screen or keyboard hooks. It trapped Ad-aware and TDS-3 - both of which I gave rights to. I'm wondering if this kind of protection is really adequate or just minimal for anti-keylogging. Any ideas?

Rich

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

to be honest, it was the first time I heard of it besides the thing in tds forum if tds was spyware... :D

I use spycop for antikeylogging and processguard preventing any so...

you should get processguard for this kind of things or spycop.

bye :cool:

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I don't know - to be honest, it's kind of an interesting looking product. This is where the "perfect image" comes into play. I plan to image my drive today in a properly configured, "perfect" state and give this SnoopFree a spin. Throw a couple of keyloggers at it and see what happens. If it's something that is worthless, no sweat, I'll just put my image back on and I'm right back where I was before installing the program. For me, this is the only way I test software I'm not sure about. The website is intriguing though. I'm always open to new products - if they do what they say. Sometimes it's hard for a new product to break through the veil of the "acceptable" product list. Especially without a large marketing budget. If it is "as advertised" then there are some unique things about SnoopFree. I am most interested in its claim to stop screen pix from a SpyAgent type program that snaps pix at selected intervals.

From the website:
    "If any program tries to access your keyboard, screen or windows in a suspicious way, it is brought to your attention immediately. You can view detailed information about the offending program and decide to allow or deny access. The software operates much like a firewall for your keyboard, screen and open windows."

By the way, as for scanning after the fact, I have been very dissappointed with the results of SpyCop of late. Webroot's Spy Sweeper detects many more running keyloggers than SpyCop. I tested them both extensively not long ago. Spy Sweeper has become a must-have for me.

I think I'll kick the tires on this SnoopFree program. Thanks for the tip!

John
    Luv2BSecure

6. bluekey23

bluekey23 Registered Member

John,
    I'd be interested in your thoughts/evaluation of this program after testing. Why does Anti-keylogger cost so much more(see controler's thread a week ago)? This program will try to install a driver(snopfree.sys). So procguard permissions should be adjusted accordingly.
    Thanks.

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

So far SnoopFree has warned me about the following programs which I allowed my system to execute:

TDS-S Professional
    Ad-Aware SE
    Quickbooks
    InstallShield Setup for Kapersky

All were trying to read the window.

I am not sure these are false positives, but the product seems interesting. I have a few days left on my free trial. It is running in the background with BOClean, Ewido, TDS-3 Exec Protection, and NAV, Wormguard and RegProt.

Rich

8. I really like the process guard approach. I am currently working on a similar product called KernelShield. I plan to roll KernelShield into PrivacyShield to add an extra layer of protection. I will also offer KernelShield as a standalone product.

Some things that process guard does not protect against are functions like GetAsyncKeyState and BitBlt from the screen. So, if someone gets a non-invasive spy product on your computer then they can log your actions. SpyBuddy comes to mind as a product that scans for keys like that.

Process guard also seems not to detect kernel integrity issues (i.e. existing drivers that hijack the kernel) It does protect against drivers being loaded after it's installed, but you must be sure that your system is clean before installing it for maximum effect.

steve

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Stephen. I am testing SnoopFree and it seems to be really good. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to do a technical evaluation, but I do understand some of what you are suggesting in your posting. Has anyone performed an independent evaluation of your product yet. Personally I am impressed by the simplicity of the product (from a users point of view) and the types of software functions that it is trapping. So far, they are all legitimate, but it is nice to know that your product is monitoring screen and keyboard software behavior.

Thanks for making the product available for evaluation. I have two days left and then I make a decision. :) Any comments by anyone else on this forum would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.