Snoopfree and Registry Changes

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Pretty often at startup I get the mesage that Snoopfree is trying to change a registry entry to be executed at startup. I permitted it a couple of times, but now am refusing it.
    Why would Snoopfree continue to do this?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Attached Files:

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

I'm not familiar with the app you posted that monitors the registry changes, however, I would ask you how long have you been using SnoopFree? When you installed it, did you shutdown all other applications, connections, etc.?

If you installed SnoopFree with other applications running, it might be the case that SnoopFree is trying to modify its own registry entries, and it continues to do this as you have not allowed it to complete the operation.

SnoopFree boots up before anything else as Group "System Reserved", even before the system boot routines.

You need LoadOrder from sysinternals.com to see the actual load order.

I have a HIPS that moitors SnoopFree, and it is never triggered by SnoopFree trying to change the registry. Have you right-clicked the SnoopFreeUI icon in the system tray? The display should tell you what it blocked, etc. In your case, however, you denied SnoopFree the right to modify your registry which is not the same thing - i.e. you blocked SnoopFree, not SnoopFree blocked something from hooking into your keyboard, etc.

I suggest you save a copy of your registry with ERUNT before and after allowing the modification, and then run a comparison routine to find out the difference - may need to be in hex? - I'm not sure.

-- Tom

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

4. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

It could be that you already have a Snoopfree value in your software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run key that is marked readonly, and the new version can't overwrite it. Zonealarm does this trick to keep its startup value from being changed.

I run MJ Registry Watcher and Snoopfree, and I have had no problems with it. Snoopfree has trapped the following so far :-

Keyboard hook in PC Mark 04
    Keyboard hook in Windows Messenger
    Keyboard hook in Quake 3 Arena
    Keyboard hook in Internet Explorer
    Screen read in Paradise Poker Client

All have been denied access permanently, and this has had no effect on how these programs function.

HTH,

5. jackvance

jackvance Guest

Looks like the snapshot is from registry monitor in Bitdefender.

As for the warning, there is a perfectly reasonable explaination.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I had not noticed that it does appear to be from BD. I believe that is correct.

This AM it came up again, and I clicked approved, and "remember", and so it should stop. I have no worry that it is malware, but I could not think of why it was doing it.

Is the "perfectly reasonable explanation" that which as been given earlier?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.