"Snapshot" utility fails to start

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by emmrecs, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmrecs

emmrecs Registered Member

Hi, new poster here so not sure if the topic title is "accurate"!!

Running Paragon Drive Back Up and Recovery Suite 10 on Win 7 32 bit, Intel Q9650 processor, 4 GB RAM with over 3TB of HDD, so plenty of space.

I use the "snapshot" facility to create back ups of my internal HDDs weekly. (Incidentally, why does this NOT include my 3 external USB2 HDDs in the snapshot?). I think this service (dbhagent and dbhservice) is supposed to start with Windows? However, whenever I start the computer now I receive a message that "The Service failed to respond in a timely manner to the start or control message"; checking Task Manager shows that dbhservice is running but not dbhagent. I can then usually manually start the app by first ending dbhservice and then restarting first dbhagent and then dbhservice.

I should add that this problem has only recently begun, perhaps since Win 7 SP1 was installed (?), but I have completely uninstalled (using Revo Uninstaller to ensure removal of all constituents) and reinstalled DBU but without any change.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Jeff

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

1. all external drives are not included to the automatic snapshots. It is by design/ System Backup creates archives for internal drives only.
    If you want to backup USB drives you should create separate manual tasks for each drive.

2. Yes, dbhagent and dbhservice should be started on startup.

3. To fix the error you have please try to check for Paragon System Backup service settings:
    1. Right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage'
    2. Go to 'Services' list in 'Services and Applications' section
    3. Find 'Paragon System Backup Service', right-click it and select Properties
    4. Verify that Startup type = Manual; Log On - Log on As = Local System and 'Allow service to interact with desktop' is checked.
    5. Press Apply and OK.
    Check if error still appears.

3. emmrecs

Thank you!

The setting "Allow service to interact with desktop" was not ticked. Changing that setting seems to have resolved the problem.

Jeff

UPDATE: Booted my computer this morning (I always turn it off overnight) and the same problem occurs. Have checked that the changes made as a result of Mech An's reply have "stuck"; they have!

Any further advice happily received!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  4. emmrecs

Just want to "bump" this topic again since, as I said in the update to my previous message, although the changes did work first time, subsequent reboots are still producing the error message previously listed.

o_O

Jeff

5. Mech_An

Hello Jeff,
    I apologize for delay.

Please try to set Startup type = Manual for Paragon System Backup Service in Windows Management.

If it doesn't help, please save full System LOG:
    * Right-click My Computer and select Manage
    * Go to Event Viewer – System
    * Right-click System group and select Export
    * Select TXT format and click Save.

Then zipp the log and upload it to FTP using credentials from private message.

6. Mech_An

@Jeff

There is another Windows error before реу reported error occurs.

Please try to run "SFC /SCANNOW":
    * go to Start - type 'CMD'.
    * right-click the cmd.exe and select Run as Admin
    * type the text, press enter
    If there are any errors in registry they will be fixed automatically.
    Then restart and check if error still appears.

If yes, try the following:
    Update Microsoft.NET Framework http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885055

Please let me know if it works

7. emmrecs

Hi again.

Ran the System File Checker as per your message: no change.

Looked at the article you linked to, which refers to "NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1". My computer already has "NET Framework 4 Client Profile" on Win 7. I think the suggested update is not appropriate, therefore?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.