Snapshot problem and boot screen issue...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by NonSuch, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NonSuch

NonSuch Registered Member

I decided to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro and so I installed FirstDefense-ISR and took a snapshot of my system and anchored my data files. It's a good thing I did, because something wasn't quite right with the new install and it was obvious within a day or two that something had gotten corrupted along the way and my primary snapshot was no longer stable and finally just froze up on me. I managed to copy the secondary snapshot back over to the primary snapshot, and so got back to where I originally was except for two problems.
    1. Although my secondary snapshot is approximately 12 GB, which is what it should be, I now have a primary snapshot that's 18 GB! (Obviously, some of the the XP Pro files must have stuck around). Can I remove the primary snapshot and just make a new duplicate of the secondary snapshot?

2. Something must have gone a bit wrong when I was booting from one snapshot to another. My boot screen is now so huge it no longer displays properly, but spills off the screen to the left and right. I would like to return this to its normal size. (This display problem is only with the boot screen, every thing else displays normally)

I would really appreciate some help with these issues.

Thanks! :)

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Archive all of your snapshots to a separete parttion or disk. Create a new empty snapshot copy snapshot 2 into it and - choose boot to the new snapshot. see what happens

If you choose to do a fresh install make sure that you create an empty snapshot first - choose boot to it and then install XP - Do not format the snaif will destroy the other snapshot data

Hope this helps

3. NonSuch

I really don't want to do a fresh install, and that would not solve the issue with the boot screen.

Thanks for your input. :)

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

boot screen is a graphics card or monitor problem

5. NonSuch

I thought I should come back post about the resolution of my two issues...

I contacted Raxco, the company from whom I had gotten FD-ISR. They were extremely helpful. As it turns out, the boot screen issue was cleared up by updating to the latest version of FD-ISR. Then I simply removed the primary snapshot and all is well again. :)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Excellent news! :thumb:

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.