Snapshot not working correctly....

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dja2k, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Tried this twice. I made a snapshot, no errors during the snapshot. When I boot into it, first thing, RegRun could not be found on startup, then some startup and services where disabled. Anyone see this happening?

dja2k

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Wish I could help, but I have never had any problems creating a snapshot and having it work. Someone here may have had that happen and will respond with a solution. My guess is that some piece of security software is interfering with FDISR.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Since I know that some security softwares cause problems in FDISR, I created a special snapshot without internet connection and without any security softwares.
    If I get errors in any FDISR-activity, I boot in my special snapshot and try again. I use that special snapshot also for other things, like defragmention, backups, burning CD/DVD's and to work quietly without any interruption.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

:thumb: :thumb: ;)

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Welll I always turn off prevx1 which was found to cause the error problems a while back for me. Acroinis does produce a working copy of an image; thats what I used to re-image a working copy.

Maybe I am doing something wrong here cause I am new to FD-ISR. I install the software, then make the secondary snapshot, boot to the secondary and work on that one. Is it suppose to be like that or am I suppose to work from the active snapshot?

dja2k

6. ErikAlbert

Normally :
    1. Primary snapshot = work snapshot
    2. Secondary snapshot = healthy snapshot
    That's the absolute minimum.
    The primary snapshot is used for daily work and the secondary snapshot is there if something goes wrong with the primary snapshot.

Personally I prefer to have the primary snapshot as healthy snapshot and secondary snapshot as work snapshot, because that is more logical and more practical too.

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yeah I work on the secondary snapshot too. I leave the primary as backup.

dja2k

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I work the other way round. The Primary Snapshot is my working snapshot whilst the Secondary Snapshot I renamed to Rollback as my backup. I currently have a third snaphot for beta testing.

9. ErikAlbert

All 10 bootable snapshots are independent and can be renamed. Even the primary snapshot has no meaning as being the very first snapshot.
    So technically it doesn't matter which one is the healthy or working snapshot and the rest is a matter of personal preferences and opinions.
    Snapshots don't even have to be related to eachother, the user decides the relationship between snapshots and which ones will be used for refreshing.
    I like that flexibility and freedom in FDISR.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Indeed, like Erik says, all Snapshots carry equal weight. Whatever Shapshot you would be in if you were to uninstall FirstDefense, would now be your one and only c:drive. :cool:

Acadia

11. ErikAlbert

That is correct. I spent a whole evening to test this. :)

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I am not running anything but OA AV+, RegRun, and Looknstop. I still can't make a snapshot that works. Same problem, first thing, regrun can't be found at startup to do the secure start. Secondly, most programs aren't installed properly anymore. That means that when I click, lets say Microsoft Word, it runs the installer. Not just word, a lot of others. Something is blocking the drive from being copied correctly.

dja2k

13. ErikAlbert

Which RegRun exactly ? I will try it tomorrow.

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have tried it with regrun gold 4.5 and now 4.6, both fail. Also when I run a registry scan with ccleaner, there are a lot of invalid entries where as when I run it in active snapshot, there are none. Don't know what is blocking the copy of some files. I have turned off everything I have running and still no good snapshot. I am thinking its the registry that is not getting copied completely because all the missing files are still there in the C:\Program Files directory. I am going to backup the registry in the active partition and inport it in the bad snapshot to see what happens. UPDATE: That didn't work either.

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  15. ErikAlbert

OK. Tomorrow I will install RegRun Gold (trial) and see what happens.
    Another opportunity for me to restore my system partition with ATI, if something goes wrong with FDISR. :D

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I don't get what is causing the problems, might not just be regrun. Bad snapshot has a lot of registry problems even after I import a good registry. Most problems are associated with startup, services, installshields, etc. I did notice that the majority of the registry problems say, invalid open with, invalid defualt icon, invalid typelib, file missing, and invalid cache. Drive Snapshot and Acronis True Image make good copies inside windows and are restored normally, no problems. I can tell because like I said, ccleaner had no errors before I did the backups, when I restore the snapshots, I run ccleaner again, and there are no registry problems. With FD-ISR, there are over 1,000 problems after the boot to the bad snapshot.

dja2k

17. ErikAlbert

I installed RegRun Gold, but nothing happened, except one thing.
    When I rebooted in another snapshot, using FDISR, a popup screen "Watch Dog Alert" appears and if I click the "Yes" button and close the Watch Dog Alert, the shutdown seems to be blocked. I waited for awhile but my computer didn't reboot.
    So I rebooted via the "Start" button and my computer rebooted in the right snapshot without any other problems.
    If I click "No" on the "Watch Dog Alert" the shutdown is normal.
    Don't know what the "Watch Dog Alert" really is because I never used RegRun, but I don't think it really matters.

I created several new snapshots and all worked fine, so RegRun doesn't cause any serious problems.
    It must be something else that is causing these serious problems in snapshots.

18. screamer

screamer Registered Member

dja2k,

Why not contact FDISR support. They are very quick to answer and are very through in solving problems.

I had an issue w/ a scheduled secondary snapshot. Manual copy/updates were fine, but auto copy/update caused an error in my log file. It took a week of installing files sent to me by FDISR support, but finally they found the issue and it was solved.

Support on the web @ http://www.raxco.com/support/windows

You really have nothing to loose and it may prevent you from pulling out your hair.

...screamer

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think this is the way to go also. I notice in DJA2k's signature he say's he's running Leapfrog FDISR. If true Raxco won't support that. Also other than maybe popping in here Todd won't either. There is indeed the possiblitiy dja2k has stumbled onto some obscure bug like I did, but for support it will be necessary to use one of the 3 vendors versions and go thru them.

Something strange is definitely going on.

Pete

20. ErikAlbert

A first time FDISR-user starts with the unsupported Leapfrog version ... it's possible. :)

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

What exactly are you guys trying to say? Should I go with the Raxco version? The serial number is interchangable between Leapfrog and Raxco anyways.

dja2k

22. ErikAlbert

The Raxco version = final version of FDISR for USERS, to use it.
    The Leapfrog version = beta version for RESELLERS to test it.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not only that, but resellers won't support anything but their version.

Dja2k Serial numbers may be interchangeable, but Raxco will only support their version.

24. ErikAlbert

This forum better stops talking about the Leapfrog version. It's confusing for potential users. For me the Leapfrog version doesn't exist.

25. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Then make them change this sub-forum name to Raxco's FirstDefense-ISR and not put the name Leapfrog. Making it say Leapfrog makes it misleading if you want to be posting about Raxco's version only. :D

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.