Snap Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bertie, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bertie

bertie Registered Member

How the heck do I use Snap Restore? I upgraded from v8 to v9 on the basis that v9 would restore the primary partition in no time at all, but having done a backup of C: then tried a restore, it took about 20 minutes before it gave me the 'Restore OK' window. This is no faster than v8.
    I'm using a Fujitsu-siemens Amilo A eith an Athlon 64 3700 and 1 gb RAM so my system ought to be up to it.
    I can't seem to find anything in the help file nor on a forum search.
    Any assistance gratefully received.
    Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bertie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please note that Acronis Snap Restore is available for images being restored from Acronis Secure Zone only. Naturally, Acronis Snap Restore cannot be used if the image contains no operating system (a logical partition or disk image) or when restoring file archives.

You can find the detailed information on how to use Acronis Snap Restore in Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

Please be aware that when performing Acronis Snap Restore, Acronis True Image 9.0 always restores the entire system disk. Therefore, if your system disk consists of several partitions, all of them must be included into the image. Otherwise partitions, missing in the image, will be lost.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. bertie

bertie Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I have now moved on a bit since I posted and now understand what you are saying. However, my 80gb disk is partitioned thus:
    C: 13.8gb 7.5gb free WinXPHome
    D: 6.02gb 2.80 free Programs
    E: 29.5gb 25.1 free Data and space for video editing.

In order to be able to image the whole disk am I right in thinking I need to take space from E: to increase C: ? I'm just a bit confused here!
    Thanks for your help.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bertie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that you do not need to increase the space of your C partition in order to create the image of the whole hard drive.
    However, if you want to create Acronis Secure Zone, you should take a free space from E partition.
    Before you create the Acronis Secure Zone, estimate its size. To do this, start backup and select all data you are going to backup into the Acronis Secure Zone. At the Set Backup Options step choose Set the options manually, then set compression level. You will see the estimated full backup size. Multiply this by about 1.5 to be able to create incremental or differential archives.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. bertie

bertie Registered Member

Thanks for your response. I haven't yet had time to follow your suggestions but one thing occured to me: If I have failed to allow sufficient space in the Secure Zone (for example), what happens if I try to do a restore? Does True Image check to see if there is sufficient space for my 3 partitions _before_ it deletes the data in them, or does it stop the process and advise me and _not_ delete them?
    Just a little bit nervous here:doubt:
    THanks.

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Bertie,

The free space in Secure Zone matters (and will be checked by TI) while in the process of creating the image. As soon as the image is completed and stored in Secure Zone, the Secure Zone space problem for this particular image is over and the image is available for restoration. All you have to do is check the image to verify it is ok before performing the restore from it.

The restore operation does not require any additional space in Secure Zone, since it only reads from the image stored there and writes it's contents into the regular partitions that are being restored.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.