Snap Deploy 3 - Universal Restore ACPI Multiprocessor - Problem

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by xyrt, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xyrt

xyrt Registered Member

Hey,

I've built a master machine to create images, which i tested and seemed to be working well. The machine is a ACPI Multiprocessor system. Imaging and deployment to a Uniprocessor system worked fine. However, deploying to a multiprocessor system doesnt work. I've even tried deploying the image to the machine which was the master... no joy. Windows XP goes into a perpetual reboot loop; in safe mode it stops at mup.sys.

Any thoughts?

2. videoman

videoman Registered Member

I am in the same boat and I need a answer ASAP.

I am imaging from a hp d530 tower, to a brand new hp dc7800 minitower.

After Deployment the system goes into a loop. When I select safe mode it stops at mup.sys and reboots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. mgoheen

mgoheen Registered Member

If you are using Universal Deploy turn it off (if the machines are the same type).

If you have AHCI (ACHI?) turned on for you disk controller try turning it off (in the BIOS).

I'm having the same problem on my systems and have reported it to Acronis, but I don't have the time to debug it for them.

4. Levwinski

Levwinski Registered Member

Has this issue been resolved yet?

I have previously trialled SD3 and we decided against it due to this ACPI problem - support now assures me that at the current time (release 3.0.3235) this is fixed.

Is this accurate? I don't want to buy several licenses and find out I was misadvised.

5. mgoheen

There is a new version -- and Acronis reported that it is suppose to fix another issue I reported (you couldn't make Acronis default choose a default boot selection when using PXE -- well, you could TELL Acronis to choose a default, but it wouldn't work).

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to even try it yet...

I will post back when I have had a chance to test.

6. Levwinski

Levwinski Registered Member

Ok, I was able to create an image on VMWare Workstation (XP SP3 ACPI Uniprocessor), slipstream DriverPacks and deploy it to a few ACPI Multiprocessor whitebox test machines without any issues.

Imaging worked, SID stripping worked, joining domain worked... actually I'm pretty happy with it all.

Having criticised the product when it was useless, I think it only fair to come back and mention when it works too - however, despite my elation at having finally resolved my issues we should keep in mind that it is only doing what it says on the box and what it should have been doing the day I paid for it, not several months later.

One feature I would appreciate would be storing PNP drivers on a network share. Universal Restore handling only the HAL and Mass Storage is fine for server disaster recovery, but with Universal Deploy when the intention is to cast it out to several workstations PNP support is needed. Having to bloat the image out with slipstreaming is not really that great a solution.

7. mgoheen

Well, I downloaded the latest version (3.0 build 3235) and attempted a deploy from an Intel DB33FB based system to an identical machine. I tried enabling Universal Restore, even though it isn't needed for this deployment.

I got the same result I had before -- the image deploys and the system blue screens when it tries to reboot. Actually, since I wasn't there during the deployment, it may not have been the first reboot...but that's where it ended up (in an endless blue screen loop).

I re-deployed the system image with Universal Deploy disabled and it went back to the OTHER problem(s) I continue to have:
    • First the system puts up a dialog box (with NO close button) that says the system is busy configuring itself
    • Next it replaces that box with an identical box -- but this time there IS a close button.
    • I don't know if it does anything else, but this box NEVER goes away.
    • If I reboot the system, it then appears to proceed with the rest of the configuration -- but knowing when it is actually DONE can be tricky.
    • Previously, if you logged into the system before it had the chance to join the domain and/or change the system name and attempted to do that manually, the system would allow you to do it...but would blue screen sometime during network startup after the machine boots. Note that I have not tested THIS problem with the latest build.
    So, it's fairly useless to us for upgrading 40 machines at night, since they all need manual intervention to simply complete the image deployment... Sigh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.