Snap Deploy - 3+ hours for creating master image?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by dancingbear0420, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancingbear0420

dancingbear0420 Registered Member

I'm evaluating Snap Deploy using the trial version, and am astonished that it is taking such an incredibly long time to create a master image. The disk has slightly less than 10GB (uncompressed), and I am saving the file to another Win XP machine on our network. I'm booting from the acronis bootable media. First it said 2 hours, now it's saying 3 hours...

We have been using an old version of power quest's drive image. Using this outdated software, it would only take about 20 mins to create the same image...

Is this normal? Multiple hours for such a small drive? Also the sales rep who i've been speaking with mentioned that a new version of Snap Deploy is due out any day now... Any idea if this new version will be able to create master images any faster?

Any input is appreciated!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dancingbear0420,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Complete System Deployment Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please describe the process of master image creation in more details? What exact steps you have taken during this process?
    Please also let us know the build number of the software. You can find this number in the Help->About dialog of Acronis Snap Deploy Management Console component.

Please also boot the computer from Acronis Master Image Creator bootable rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the word "quiet", click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Collect the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

I'm afraid that the exact date of Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 release is not decided yet. However, you can receive the latest information on Acronis software by signing up for Acronis Newsletter.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. WangChung

WangChung Registered Member

I too have only just experienced the SAME problem, but only after moving the location of my Snap Deploy server on my network.

Previously I had a direct connection to the server (in a test environment). Having just today moved it into Production and into a different network it's all turned bad as far as the Master Image Creation.

I did discover that the deployment of images was greatly impacted by the Multicast setting (the Unicast setting rectified that).

Tomorrow I will investigate the settings on network switches etc.

I will post back here if I get a 'good' result

WC

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  4. kingsley

kingsley Registered Member

I had that same problem with Acronis TI.

Some PCs takes a looooong time image and restore when you use USB for USB Drive (not the USB Notebook).

I later found out the problem. If the PC (the motherboard) does not have USB 2.0, it will take forever and sometimes it will hang.

PCs with USB 2.0 will work. Otherwise, the work around is to pull the HD out of the USB enclosure and wire it into the IDE cable. That will work.

This applies to deploying images to PCs as baremetal. Make sure that the other PC has a motherboard that supporst USB 2.0 or has enhanced USB port. Otherwise, it will take 3 hours or more or hang on you during imaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.