SMTP notification in Win95/98/ME

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by remargon, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remargon

remargon Registered Member

Hi guys,

I searched the forum for a solution, but without success. As mencioned in title, I'm trying to configure some computers with Win95/98/ME (remember that? ;) ) to send SMTP notifications, but something is wrong. I'm using the default message, and the variable '%ComputerName%' isn't solving the NetBios name, returning 'unknown' on the name of the computer.

Many different settings for the LAN Properties, including DHCP and static IP, Host, Domain, etc... gone tested, and nothing does the names appear as we need. I'd thinked that 'ComputerName' may be an environment variable in Windows, and set it in the autoexec.bat for load on boot, but again without success (the variable loads, but not solved the problem).

Than I ask: Is it a NOD32 error? Why it isn't solving the name of the computer for the notification messages?

P.S.: Already tested in WinXP and everything is OK.

2. remargon

Any ideaso_O Please!!!

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Do you have the computer name in the Identification tab?

Cheers :D

4. remargon

Hi Blackspear,

At first, I'd like to congratulate you for your amazing job in this forum.

And about your question: yes, I did it. The name is correctly setted in the identification tab of network properties.

I really wait that someone in forum (world) had passed for this, and guide me to the light!!! :)

I'll be waiting...

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

[Edited to correct typo. AG]

Hello,

Can you take a look at the following registry keys on one of the computers:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP]

and verify that either a ComputerName or HostName value is set correctly under at least one of the keys?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  6. remargon

Hi agoretsky, thanks for help.

This is what I found in one of the machines ( LEVI is the name, running Win98 ):

7. Georgio

Georgio Registered Member

Hi Remagon,

NOD32 uses the name from API function GetcomputerName (in kernel32.dll) so if it works corectly there should no problem with regard to NOD32

However you may try to change %ComputerName% to %COMPUTERNAME% in "NOD32 Control Center > NOD32 System setup > Notifications > Setup" and check if it makes difference.

8. remargon

Thanks for your help, Georgio. I set the variable as "%COMPUTERNAME% like you said, and it still doesn't work.

Found another user in forum that solved his problem renaming the computer. Then I tried the same, renaming to "Levi-win98", but again doesn't work.

To prove that I'm not doing something wrong, see:

From Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName]: ComputerName "LEVI-WIN98"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]: ComputerName "LEVI-WIN98"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP]: HostName "levi-win98"

And from NOD32 settings (at this time, using messenger service from Windows, that shows same problem):

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/remargon/images/notification_settings.JPG

http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/remargon/images/messenger_notification.JPG

Note that in messenger service of Windows I can recognize the computer because the sender of message is identified in title, but in SMTP messages this is not possible if the SMTP server be in Internet Service Provider (my case).

I'm almost dropping out... This versions of Windows are too old and the most of people are already using the newer versions, turning the solution for this problem a great waste of time. If no one post a specific solution for this in a few days, I'll quit. And thanks to all for the concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.