smss.exe tried to install win32k.sys

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by tonyjl, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi peeps.

Just booted up my laptop today and PG warned me that smss.exe tried to install a driver/service called %systemroot%system32\win32k.sys. I've done a google search and seems this file used for multi-user login,some other functions to do with the kernel. I am the only user of my pc,i haven't installed anything for ages,there's nothing new (that i can see) on my pc,and just seems a bit out of the blue.

Any advice would be welcome.

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

This is required, are you running a beta ? it should be allowed by default unless you remove it

3. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

gavin, are you saying that smss.exe is suppose to have the "install driver/service" priviledge?

4. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi Gavin.

I only have two beta's:-
    Protowall http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2 had it since June 2005
    and
    Jason's GhostSecuritySuite http://www.ghostsecurity.com/ had this a couple a months (Sept 2005 i think)

Did have PG v3.3,but reverted back to v3.2 due to a startup prob to do with PG's protect physical memory feature. Still got it with v3.2,so it's not PG directly causing the prob,it's just something related to PG. o_O

The only other beta i can think of,is on microsoft's update page,if you click on 'Change Settings' there's an option to 'Show beta products and related updates' http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en
    which i selected,probably a couple of days before this file tried to install,but there wern't any,so...

5. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

tony, it sounds like if you gave smss.exe the "install driver/service" priviledge that it is supposed to have, then you would not have a problem..

maybe the reason that you are seeing this now, and not before, is because you only recently removed the "install driver/service" from "smss.exe"?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  6. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

I think your right mate, :oops: it's already on my HD,date created - 08/29/2002

Thanks for all your time guys :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.