Smartphone security these days...

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by TestPersonX, Jun 10, 2016.

1. TestPersonX

TestPersonX Registered Member

Hey there,

I have the following scenario in mind:
    I'm a heavy Google Photos and Google Drive user, but only from my Windows computer as cloud-backups. Furthermore, I'm using mobile Dropbox / Facebook quite a lot, thus having the apps installed and being logged in.

When I loose my smartphone and they "somehow" got access to it [1] -> Even though I'm not yet using Google Drive or Photo Android apps, people could easily install them on the phone and as my Google account is known to the phone, they could do whatever they want with the data. Facebook and Dropbox is completely open to them.

Is there ANY way to protect against it?

I know I can remote-revoke account-access for accounts like Google, Dropbox, Facebook from the Web-Frontend - but what if I don't have any internet connection - or if I am away from home and I use 2-step auth using my phone? E.g. when being in a foreign country... Then there's no way of simply loggin in from any other computer then the one at home to revoke Account-Authentication for the mentioned apps..

Please, any advice!
    The only things I could think of right now:
    * Encrypt your phone before going to vacation (So that if it gets lost and battery runs empty --> It is safe)
    * Uninstall / Logout in apps like Facebook / Dropbox
    * Print One-Time-Authcodes for Google so that you could login from ANY computer using mail/password + OneTime Token - but that will ONLY work if you are in a country with good internet. If I travel in Tibet or whereever, big problem.
    * As a security measurement: Disable installing APKs from 3rd party sources and disabling the USB debugging
    * Problem remains: I don't think I should be removing my Google account before traveling, so anyone could still access all my Mails, Google Drive and Google Photos when getting access to the device. So Im still not REALLY comfortable with it...

Thanks in advance!

[1] I'm using fingerprint - but you never know. I would not bet against it that there is ANY way to break into the phone. Do you know if it can be done if you connect the phone to a computer and use all the tools available on the net? I.e. can you trust Android lockscreen if you use fingerprint sensor or is there mostly a way around it?

2. TestPersonX

TestPersonX Registered Member

You all ain't got a smartphone, thus not interested in Smartphone security ? ;-)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.